Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 08:50 PM

Why Does UK Import Rubbish?

Why do most of the Fashion Retailers including M & S have their fashions made in the Far East? Apart for the obvious, making much more profit?

There are plenty of Garment Manufacturers in the U K that can make knickers that do not fall down round your ankles when shopping because the elastic has snapped and T-Shirts that do not lose their shape in the wash.

Up North, were there is massive unemployment for unskilled workers, they would be only too happy to make ladies underwear. and T-shirts as well.

The Government ought to give huge incentives to Businesses New and Old or..even pay them to relocate to areas of mass unemployment.

Many British made goods are sort after by other Countries, even Bury Black Pudding.

[url=https://
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 09:05 PM

Re: Why Does UK Import Rubbish?

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Why do most of the Fashion Retailers including M & S have their fashions made in the Far East? Apart for the obvious, making much more profit?
Or remaining competitive?
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 09:20 PM

There are some serious misconceptions about Asian goods. If you end up with a rubbish product is the fault of the importer not the manufacturer. They will have gone to the manufacterer and said "Can you make this for $1?" The reply would be on the lines of "Well yes, but it will be made out of recycled plastic bottles and it wont last" If cheap rubbish is what the customer wants the Asian will supply it.
The Asian attention to detail and work ethic is far ahead of us Europeans, but they have a different attitude .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 09:31 PM

I've just checked some Laura Ashley trousers that I bought in the late 80s. They have "made in Great Britain" on the label. I remember how expensive it was to buy Laura Ashley on my wages then. I doubt they still make in GB.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 09:33 PM

Because we want to have highly paid jobs but pay little for our purchases, or because we want to buy wear once then throw away clothing (the primark model).
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
There are some serious misconceptions about Asian goods. If you end up with a rubbish product is the fault of the importer not the manufacturer. They will have gone to the manufacterer and said "Can you make this for $1?" The reply would be on the lines of "Well yes, but it will be made out of recycled plastic bottles and it wont last" If cheap rubbish is what the customer wants the Asian will supply it.
The Asian attention to detail and work ethic is far ahead of us Europeans, but they have a different attitude .
If they try to make the same goods here they will likely be poor quality because it's simply not affordable. It's not just wages, but premises, machinery, logistics etc. It's quite interesting to think of where the materials for our clothes come from. I'm assuming many materials must come from Asia. The supply chain is all there.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

20-08-2019, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Because we want to have highly paid jobs but pay little for our purchases, or because we want to buy wear once then throw away clothing (the primark model).
The clothes I have are made in Asia but are good quality. e.g. my current "go-to", Seasalt make their clothes in India. Some of their products are fantastic and beautifully made. The materials are great quality. They could not do it here at high street prices.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 10:26 PM

We don't we export it to the far east, well, we did until recently.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The clothes I have are made in Asia but are good quality. e.g. my current "go-to", Seasalt make their clothes in India. Some of their products are fantastic and beautifully made. The materials are great quality. They could not do it here at high street prices.

Exactly, but when their factory collapses and kills hundreds we'll be up in arms about it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

20-08-2019, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Exactly, but when their factory collapses and kills hundreds we'll be up in arms about it.
Seasalt : "We work with trusted suppliers, and commit to long term, mutually beneficial relationships to ensure the best quality product alongside an in-depth understanding of each supplier and their facilities. "

I'd love to know more. They do manufacture some products in Britain. Pottery, skincare and chocolate. I guess you go to where you have a reliable workforce, supply chain and the best quality for a good price. Isn't that what business is about? If they were in it for altruistic reasons only then it would not be capitalism.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top