Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 03:38 PM

Ancient relics

We have several in our home, including me of course.

I would love to know the provenance of this key, which was discovered in my childhood home, it is obviously pretty old. I used to tease my grandchildren that is was the one the Minstrel Blondel, an ancestor of mine on my father's side of the family, used to release Richard the Lionheart from his prison in Austria.

We also have pew from monastery sale, which we think dates back to the Tudor era, which my mother purchased for a fiver in 1952, when I was two. My father had it valued about 35 years ago and was told it was worth about £2000. It is in very good condition considering my sisters and I used to sit on it as kids, as did my children and grandchildren. It is now kept in our hall, and promised to our Vicar daughter when I pop my clogs.

Do other posters have any relics going back several centuries?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ancient Key 1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	10557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ancient Pew.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	10558  
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 09:17 PM

Re: Ancient relics

That was a lot of money in 1952, for an artefact, was that purchased with a white fiver?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 10:21 PM

Those are very interesting articles Tara.

The oldest possession I have is a large black Mantle clock which was presented to my grandfather in 1900 by the Viennese Orchestra and some old music sheets of his.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 10:23 PM

Your grandfather was a musician Mags ?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I have this:

A piece of fossilised wood from my wee jaunt to the Sahara desert. Might be 100 million years old.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Your grandfather was a musician Mags ?
Yes Muddy, he had his own band.

One of his early garden parties.....

Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 10:57 PM

This was given to me by my paternal grandmother when we left England in 1952 when I was 12. The book under the lion's foot translates as "Peace be with you, Marcus, son of the evangelist". I never saw grandma again.

big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 08:28 AM

I have a solid brass tray that was given to my grand Mother as a wedding present in 1862
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Yes Muddy, he had his own band.

One of his early garden parties.....

An interesting picture Mags .
Everyone looks so formal it looks like some special occasion with the flags .
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
We have several in our home, including me of course.

I would love to know the provenance of this key, which was discovered in my childhood home, it is obviously pretty old. I used to tease my grandchildren that is was the one the Minstrel Blondel, an ancestor of mine on my father's side of the family, used to release Richard the Lionheart from his prison in Austria.

We also have pew from monastery sale, which we think dates back to the Tudor era, which my mother purchased for a fiver in 1952, when I was two. My father had it valued about 35 years ago and was told it was worth about £2000. It is in very good condition considering my sisters and I used to sit on it as kids, as did my children and grandchildren. It is now kept in our hall, and promised to our Vicar daughter when I pop my clogs.

That pew would look lovely in my house Tara..I love that
I don't have anything handed down to me but I have bought a few old items a little chest dating back to the late 1600s is oldest thing I think...and I live in an old barn now converted that dates way back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top