Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 04:50 PM

Re: Organ transplants

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Some went to the Manchester University museum too, including one with a mummified penis.

Honestly. When I took my school class on a visit there several years ago, guess what the first thing they noticed was!
Ha ha. Yes I remember being taken to the British museum with the school and seeing the mummy that had been preserved in the sand. The first thing we said was ''You can see his A*** hole''

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 05:36 PM

The answer is simple. Everyone is automatically an organ donor unless they opt out.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
The answer is simple. Everyone is automatically an organ donor unless they opt out.
That's fair enough, but if they opt out do they also opt out of ever receiving a transplant themselves?

I feel that they should. Some people want everything for themselves, but are not prepared to give a little as well.

I'm sure that there are the occasional nut-jobs who, due to their religious beliefs, refuse to have organs removed upon death "because they must arrive at heaven whole"!

Presumably, if they themselves are in receipt of a donor organ they won't be admitted to their heaven anyway as they are no longer "whole"!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 08:48 PM

Does this apply to children's organs too ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Does this apply to children's organs too ?
I'm not sure.

Children under 18 (I think) cannot make such decisions themselves, but whether their parents can I don't know.

Interesting question.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Yes Baz I have worked with people in that situation. I will answer your question as succinctly as I can. Firstly, yes you are right. People go through very intense trauma, grief, anger, confusion: just about every emotion you can think of. Sudden death is not just traumatic for significant others but as you have alluded to it is also very complicated with many processes and people involved. In other words it's a bloody awful mess for everybody - and every body - involved. I guess the main thing here to say is the difference between those two examples you mentioned is control. With coronial cases i.e. where police and medical examiners are involved - Such as cases of murder, suicide, industrial or road accident etc - the matter is out of the hands of the family to an extent at least while the coronial case is sub-judice. This is not to mean that they don't have support but they do not have total decision making power as to what happens to the body of their loved one and how long it is to remain the "property" of the coroner..which it legally is. In the other case the family has more control. And control is a very important thing when it comes to how intense any trauma is and how long it lasts.
Thanks for your reply keezoy. Yes, the two are different in the way you explained so well. The person I was involved with in that way was badly affected by what happened and in fact has remained that way for well over 20 years. Professional help should have been sought but was seen by that person as ‘nothing can change what has happened’. What was not realised though was that the way in ‘what had happened’ was being dealt with could have been changed, or at least helped. More control of that aspect of the results of that traumatic event could have been a great help. However, that was constantly refused and was not to be.

The mind is all-powerful, it controls our emotional and physical well-being. If more people realised what that means and ‘how we tick’ I am sure there would be a lot less mental and physical ill-health problems. My realisation of this was simply to have to find out about some of this for myself so as to understand and help a close family member with mental ill-health problems, it was and continues to be, quite an eye-opener. Everyone should I believe, realise that we have both physical and mental health so can have ill-health with either. Society is getting better at realising more about the mental ill-health side of this, which can only be good. Any one of us can have problems of this kind and it is reckoned that one in four of us will do so at some time during our lives. For this reason I believe every one of us should be understanding of any person struggling with mental ill-health, it could so very easily be us.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 11:25 PM

There's the truth.

Lisa Nandy has just said on Question Time, that we in the UK swap organs with the EU. So it would seem that our organs could become a commercial entity, if it isn't already .
No wonder they are wanting so many !
Other countries are into buying and selling, so I suppose it's the way to go.
Maybe we should sell our organs in advance OR, as part of our Will, so the beneficiaries of ones Will , might benefit.

£300 per kidney, £150 per eye ..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 11:51 PM

Funny you should say that, Puddles.

I can't remember all the details now, but many years ago, a friend told me about someone she knew who's son had a kidney stolen.
Hard though it is to believe, she would not have lied to me.

He was drinking in some bar in London, and a couple of other blokes suddenly 'befriended' him.
He ended up going back to their hotel with them to carry on boozing.

It was thought they spiked his drink once they got him back there.
When he eventually woke up, he was sitting in a dry bath tub. There was a note stuck in front of him telling him to keep very still, not to try to get out of the bath, or summon help, else he was very likely to quickly bleed to death!!

Turned out he'd had a kidney stolen!
She said later there were other cases at the time as well.
It seems organs were being stolen to flog.

I never knew the outcome, or whether the men were caught.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top