Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 07:04 AM

Would you remove your life savings and keep it in your mattress?

With banks and pension providers charging umpteen thousands of pounds for taking out your own hard-earned money, would you consider keeping it all in cash at home? You could remove it gradually from ATMs without being charged a penny.

What are the risks? Would your money be safe?

It's disgraceful how our money earned over years of working all our lives should be taken off us - or never be paid to us at all - and be given to the state.
There is even talk about us being made to work forever without even seeing our pensions, obviously because the government want us to die and therefore take our savings and get taxed on it too.
How will we be able to leave anything to our dependants?

What is the best way to safeguard our cash?

Please stick to topic if possible.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 07:11 AM

Re: Would you remove your life savings and keep it in your mattress?

I wouldn't, after being burgled before and the mess they made looking everywhere, I don't think its a safe place in your Home, unless you have a secret drawer somewhere.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 07:14 AM

Interesting thought, Floydy.

Pros
Instant access
No hidden charges.

Cons
Instant access - could lead to instant spending!
Burglars - no insurance to replace it if stolen
Would you ever sleep again knowing your every last penny was in the house?
Unless you have a burglar-proof safe - where would you keep it?
Could make your mattress very lumpy and uncomfortable.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 07:18 AM

Hi

Some cash is essential in case of emergencies, but all of it, no way.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 07:22 AM

Good answers
No, I wouldn't do it myself. I'm far too impulsive.
It just wouldn't feel like a safe thing to do would it?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 07:34 AM

Only if you want to get mugged By burglars as opposed to the government .

However when Corbyn and McDonnell get in there is no problem you won’t have any to hide .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Only if you want to get mugged By burglars as opposed to the government .

However when Corbyn and McDonnell get in there is no problem you won’t have any to hide .
If those two win I'll invest my life savings in a very sharp knife and slash my wrists!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-10-2019, 07:48 AM

What did I say about sticking to topic? I did not post this in the Politics section.
No wonder people are reluctant to begin threads if members have to digress all the time!
Please respect my question. Thank you
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 07:50 AM

Always a good question. I would keep some money at home as a last resort. That is if I couldn't find an account or term deposit that was worth putting it in. And unless you're talking about big sums of money, in which case I would put it in property, I would have: and have had the use of in the past (It wasn't mine) a good safe. A small one would have to be set into a concrete or brick wall - as this one was - and be a good solid one. Fireproof with a cryptic multi stage locking system. Not something your average burglar would have a hope of hell getting into. I mean it would be expensive but if you're going to go to the trouble of keeping your money at home and you have a fair swag, you have to be serious about protecting it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 07:51 AM

Its a tricky one, if all folks tried to do this, they would find out that this much cash does not really exist, then, they would not sleep at night anyway.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top