Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 11:12 AM

Re: Would you remove your life savings and keep it in your mattress?

For me, it depends on the interest rates available.

At the moment, interest rates are, virtually, nil.

So, the only reason to bank it is for safety.

But there is another thing you can do - Spend it!

It's trendy, around here to buy a small property & rent it out.

Get you funds back when the interest rates go up steeply - which, I am told, they soon will.

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I am a married bloke , I don’t have money
This reminds me of my dad who once told my long-ago fiancé. that through his career as a naval pilot, engineer, and business owner that his income was forty dollars a week.

This was the amount of cash my mom (the financial manager of the family) disbursed to him every Monday for as long as I can remember.

Having lived through three weeks with no electricity after a major hurricane, everyone here keeps cash on hand in the event of a lengthy power outage.

Though I am reducing the risk of my investments retirement approaches (stuffing it in a virtual mattress), the real thing? No, the sky is not falling .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 05:06 PM

Hi

I always have cash, invaluable in an Emergency and much better exchange rates on the streets than buying Foreign Currency, the exchange rate is 10 to 30% better.

I always have £600 in my wallet, a bit of a Del Boy in that respect, I buy and sell and cash works wonders with builders, garages etc.

Cash is essential in some of the places I travel to, simply for bribes.

It comes from the days when I was young and had naff all.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 08:30 AM

I'm the opposite swims my husband says I'm like the Queen I never carry cash have plastic will travel
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I always have cash, invaluable in an Emergency and much better exchange rates on the streets than buying Foreign Currency, the exchange rate is 10 to 30% better.

I always have £600 in my wallet, a bit of a Del Boy in that respect, I buy and sell and cash works wonders with builders, garages etc.

Cash is essential in some of the places I travel to, simply for bribes.

It comes from the days when I was young and had naff all.
When and to where did you last travel, Swimmy?

I thought you said you could not go far these days. Good to know this has improved - might you be able to visit Guy at last?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I'm the opposite swims my husband says I'm like the Queen I never carry cash have plastic will travel
I do not keep cash in the house and, when I am out, never carry more than £50. If I need more I find an ATM.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top