Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 04:40 PM

Re: Yet another telephone scam?

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
It is when they say they are phoning about the accident I had for which I was not responsible. I've never had an accident for which I am to blame in 55 years so I tell them that, plus they should check their sources and not call me again!

I always find this very intrusive and annoying. This kind cold calling should be banned as should selling on or collecting any telephone numbers to use for this purpose!
I'm sure they could stop it if they really wanted to but it's not top of their list. Money is top of their list unfortunately.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2019, 11:28 PM

Another scam. Just received this one this evening.

An email supposedly from TV licencing.
It said there has been a blip on taking my payment this month, so I would have to set up a new direct debit.

They said my licence will expire and it I will be in trouble if it does and I continue using the TV without arranging this new direct debit.

If you look on the real TV licencing website, they are warning of no end of scams on there.
I really am sick to death of all these scammers we get nowadays.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Another scam. Just received this one this evening.

An email supposedly from TV licencing.
It said there has been a blip on taking my payment this month, so I would have to set up a new direct debit.

They said my licence will expire and it I will be in trouble if it does and I continue using the TV without arranging this new direct debit.

If you look on the real TV licencing website, they are warning of no end of scams on there.

I really am sick to death of all these scammers we get nowadays.
Designed to catch out the unwary. Someone, somewhere will respond and that's what these scammers rely on. It's the world we live in, unfortunately.

Nowadays I am always suspicious of anything that is unsolicited and check it out on a different source as you have. I also never click on anything suspicious, again the signs are usually there but the safest way is just not to do what is indicated for you to follow. Anything that is genuine will usually have something like your name, part of your account number or be followed by a reminder a few days later, that no response has been made to the original e-mail.

The final safeguard is never to give out any information about anything over the phone to anyone, especially if it's an unsolicited call – "I do not give out any personal information" is the best phrase to remember.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 08:38 AM

Hi

If it were not for all and sundry forcing us to do things online these scammers would be out of business.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 09:18 AM

I had a phone call yesterday evening. I have caller display on my phone. I did not recognise the number so did not answer it. A message was left on my answer machine to ring this number and quote a reference number. The same thing has happened this morning. I am still very wary and am not going to answer.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I had a phone call yesterday evening. I have caller display on my phone. I did not recognise the number so did not answer it. A message was left on my answer machine to ring this number and quote a reference number. The same thing has happened this morning. I am still very wary and am not going to answer.
A wise decision I reckon as the number shown could well be charged to you at an extortionate cost per minute, once called there's very little you can do about it other than hang up but by then you may have been charged a minimum amount for the connection.

If you wish it is possible to search a number via Google or another search engine you use, which may show it up as a scam if it is one. Or you could use a website where telephone numbers can be looked up, see link below:

https://www.howtogeek.com/318012/how...-phone-number/

I often check out numbers this way and find them listed on a website with many reports of it being a scam.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top