Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 11:53 PM

Re: Getting Ready to Die

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Having seen the parents of friends end up with Alzheimers without preparing legal affairs for the next generation, really brings home the need to think ahead. I made a will 15 years ago and I haven't yet felt the need to change it. I do wonder though if you make a will and the solicitor maybe closes down, where does the will go? Presumably there is some process to pass on documents.

– Snip –
I believe there is a way, which is to lodge your Will with the Probate Registry rather than with a solicitor, a payment would probably be required. If Inheritance Tax would be payable a Probate office would have to be contacted by your appointed Executors anyway. Not sure of the exact details, your solicitor should be able to tell you, or perhaps the relevant Probate registry or sub-registry.

While I am in no way advocating you use this company, contact details of all the Probate registries are shown on the link below:

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/mone...obate-registry
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2019, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Yes but the backup is with the solicitor. It's strange that we don't have a more official process for something so important.
As long as your executor has a copy it shouldn't be a problem .

I leave my will in the bank ( but banks probably don't offer that service anymore)

And i have another at home for my children.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I believe there is a way, which is to lodge your Will with the Probate Registry rather than with a solicitor, a payment would probably be required. If Inheritance Tax would be payable a Probate office would have to be contacted by your appointed Executors anyway. Not sure of the exact details, your solicitor should be able to tell you, or perhaps the relevant Probate registry or sub-registry.

While I am in no way advocating you use this company, contact details of all the Probate registries are shown on the link below:

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/mone...obate-registry
Thanks. I just thought there must be some protocol for when a Solicitor ceases practice. After all they hold all sorts of important documents for clients.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 05:03 AM

My wife and I were initially going to sort out our funerals and wills later this year, paying for it all so that my wife's daughters don't get the hassle.
My wife's will be done in that way soon but I'm now not so sure how I want to do things.
As for a will I have no idea (and some reservations) about who to leave my money and estate to. There are complications.
I may just leave some money in an account to be released when the time comes. I'm unsure what to do yet.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 05:15 AM

There will be more complications if you die intestate.
However the rules of intestancy are fairly straightforward but it's will involved layers who will act as executors and take a large cut.

First £250k
Spouse ( must be legally married )
Children
Parents
Eldest relative
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 05:19 AM

This forum is getting me down right now.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 08:47 AM

Yep im ready whenever .

All sorted , nothing to leave but a bit of savings and this little ole house of mine .

My son will order the porsche hes wanted for years ive no doubt
My daughter will pay part of the morgage off

Its been a long old journey and im wondering whats next
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 09:22 AM

All done & dusted years ago..Funeral arrangements sorted..Children know where everything is..passwords /e mail contacts etc' in a notebook...no worries..I can go anytime without a fuss.....but not yet
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2019, 09:43 PM

Hmmm........well I obviously wasn't a good girl guide! I'm NOT prepared and I'm not going anywhere for as long as possible.............. All the issues and problems in the world should be balanced with life, the life you'd like to live........so whatever the problem is: Chuck it in the **** It Bucket and move on!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Swimmy, You must have gone downhill quick? When l met you about five years ago at the ‘group meet’ you seemed in good shape then, upright and broad shouldered!

I had mislaid my glasses on the day, though.... not really!
Hi

I have been very ill Art.

I have beaten the worst and I am getting better and fitter.

I have absolutely no intention of dying any time soon.

It is a bit of a roller coaster ride, mostly my own fault for pushing too hard.

When I have a bad few days I am on Nozinan.

This is a palliative care medicine, very powerful., normally used in terminal care.

It is very effective in dealing with the type of severe pain I have.

The reason I have sorted everything is that both mine are abroad and Guy is ill.

I want no stress for him at all.

A house clearance is not the way to go.

I have some quality stuff, better the kids have the money.

I am relaxed about it.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top