Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 08:59 PM

Re: Britain as a Failed State

As a kid I can well remember going to the local bakers with a food coupon to be able to buy a loaf of bread with my mother. The milkman with his horse and cart delivering milk. The dustman heaving dustbins on their backs to empty into the dust carts. Policemen walking the streets and answering the flashing lights on the blue police boxes. Even before trolley buses the old trams and the rails in the road. post delivered twice daily (that was in Cornwall)

Cars that didn't have the power to get up steep hills without taking a run at them first

Comparing today with back then Britain today is definately not a failed state
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 09:01 PM

And Boris Morton.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
As a kid I can well remember going to the local bakers with a food coupon to be able to buy a loaf of bread with my mother. The milkman with his horse and cart delivering milk. The dustman heaving dustbins on their backs to empty into the dust carts. Policemen walking the streets and answering the flashing lights on the blue police boxes. Even before trolley buses the old trams and the rails in the road. post delivered twice daily (that was in Cornwall)

Cars that didn't have the power to get up steep hills without taking a run at them first

Comparing today with back then Britain today is definately not a failed state
There is a contradiction in your post Realspeed?
I think you confuse technical progress with success?
Regards Donkeyman!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
There is a contradiction in your post Realspeed?
I think you confuse technical progress with success?
Regards Donkeyman!
I think you're right DM. Based on my own observation the wheels started to come off in the mid 60's when the unions took control.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 11:42 PM

I wonder if the fact we have been following orders from Europe for the last 40 something year, we no longer have anyone who knows how to govern properly or has the backbone to carry decisions through .
Maggie Thatcher did, but she too was impeded , guided and dictated to by the EU.

We haven't done anything on our own completely for decades.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
The people of uk have known all that for years Brucy!
The problem is that the powers that be DONT!
This is the crux of what is taking place in uk right now!
Please refrain from posting any more remainer crap from
Ozz as we have an over suupply of home produced shyte!!
Regards Donkeyman!
Assman you obviously totally missed the point this thread is not in the Brexit Forum for a reason.

Australia doesn't give a damn whether Britain remains in the EU or not what the article is about is a strategic analysis of what the future holds for Britain as a nation.

It has nothing to do with Leaving or Remaining other than the longer term political and economic consequences of the referendum, what has followed and what the future holds.

I think my attitude is typical of everybody outside the UK, I am totally indifferent to whether you stay in Europe or leave because either will not affect me in the slightest. This article has to be read with that perspective not through the narrow vision of a divided nation.

If anything the responses so far in this thread really reinforce the points made in the article.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 06:50 AM

Australia doesn't give a damn whether Britain remains in the EU or not what the article is about is a strategic analysis of what the future holds for Britain as a nation.
It may not seem this way to an outsider, seeing inside our parliament and demos in the streets, but ...

most Britons doesn't give a damn whether Britain remains in the EU or not. We just want to get on with our lives.

Off topic, I know.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 07:01 AM

They do have a point I've been wondering for a while if we can come back from this and the only way we can make brexit work is to come back together. I'm not sure anymore we can. How do we forget and forgive our establishment ? Our judiciary ? Our neighbours and even on some cases our families.
You can't call people racist or traitor without meaning it on some level that won't go away whether we stay in or leave.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 07:12 AM

This Brexit stuff has been going on for 5% of a 60 year olds life span, and a greater percentage of the memorable portion of it, there is probably no way back, assuming someone should want to go there.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 07:35 AM

Hi

It matters nothing what we think.

What matters is how we are viewed by others.

Excluding the EU Press, which can be as biased as our Press, the rest of the world is not impressed with the implosion of our Politics at the moment.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top