Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 08:39 AM

Re: Britain as a Failed State

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It matters nothing what we think.

What matters is how we are viewed by others.

Excluding the EU Press, which can be as biased as our Press, the rest of the world is not impressed with the implosion of our Politics at the moment.
Actually I always think be damned what others think of me as long as I know I'm doing the right thing. If we all worried what others think that's the way to have no confidence and become quite mentally sick.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 09:09 AM

Hi

It matters nothing what we think.

What matters is how we are viewed by others.

Excluding the EU Press, which can be as biased as our Press, the rest of the world is not impressed with the implosion of our Politics at the moment.
I'm of the precise opposite opinion.

I couldn't give a tinkers cuss what people think about us, I care about what we think about what we're doing to ourselves.

Sod other people!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

I couldn't give a tinkers cuss what people think about us, I care about what we think about what we're doing to ourselves.

Sod other people!
That is fair enough BUT missing the point - the main thrust of the article is not what other people think of Britain but what Britain will be when this political adventure is over. The last line sums it up:

"Polarised, poorer and with less power"

This is not about what outsiders think of you, it is an analysis describing the Britain of the future, a future that you or your children will be living.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 10:04 AM

Yes sod other people who stick their noses in to British affairs, they should get a life of their own.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 10:04 AM

I think you're right DM. Based on my own observation the wheels started to come off in the mid 60's when the unions took control.
My analysis of recent uk history tallies with yours Todgy!
The communist unions did start the rot, but the establishment
response to the unions really set the seal on the downward
spiral uk has been on ever since.
In their efforts to control the unions they chose to destroy
the unions support base, the working classess, by capitalising
all the industries that employed them! With the results we
have now, no british owned car makers! No machine tool
manufacturing! Very little british appliance manufacturing etc etc!
This, coupled with the gradual theft of our fishing industry all
coming just after joining a trading block that required us
paying very high fees to belong to, the so called benefits of
which could only come from trading??
If uk fails to exit eu this down spiral can only continue!!!

Regards Donkeyman!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That is fair enough BUT missing the point - the main thrust of the article is not what other people think of Britain but what Britain will be when this political adventure is over. The last line sums it up:

"Polarised, poorer and with less power"

This is not about what outsiders think of you, it is an analysis describing the Britain of the future, a future that you or your children will be living.
Quote - Polarised, poorer and with less power

Polarised? We have been since the year dot.

Poorer? Why? Freed from the never mentioned constraints imposed on us by the European Commission and not having to subsidise the horribly corrupt and singularly undemocratic thing will be very BIG plus.

Less power? By being subservient to the European Commission, which actually we are, the only real power that Westminster has is not far removed from that of a unitary council - until BREXIT that is.

Getting free from the European Commission will restore sovereignty to us and allow us to start the long get well program that is so desperately needed.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Assman you obviously totally missed the point this thread is not in the Brexit Forum for a reason.

Australia doesn't give a damn whether Britain remains in the EU or not what the article is about is a strategic analysis of what the future holds for Britain as a nation.

It has nothing to do with Leaving or Remaining other than the longer term political and economic consequences of the referendum, what has followed and what the future holds.

I think my attitude is typical of everybody outside the UK, I am totally indifferent to whether you stay in Europe or leave because either will not affect me in the slightest. This article has to be read with that perspective not through the narrow vision of a divided nation.

If anything the responses so far in this thread really reinforce the points made in the article.

I dont think it is possible for your views to represent ALL of
the people outside the uk Brucy Boy ?? And even if it did, it
would be irrelevant to the topic?
I have agreed with you that uk is diminished, the only thing
we disagree on is what and when this diminishment started?
Once again, we dont need anymore anti rhetoric from
outsiders, there is an ample home based supply?

Regards Assman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

14-09-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote - Polarised, poorer and with less power

Polarised? We have been since the year dot.

Poorer? Why? Freed from the never mentioned constraints imposed on us by the European Commission and not having to subsidise the horribly corrupt and singularly undemocratic thing will be very BIG plus.

Less power? By being subservient to the European Commission, which actually we are, the only real power that Westminster has is not far removed from that of a unitary council - until BREXIT that is.

Getting free from the European Commission will restore sovereignty to us and allow us to start the long get well program that is so desperately needed.

You beat me to it Todgy! But you put it better than l could!!

Regards Donkeyman!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 10:58 AM

Sod other people!
Hi

What other people think of the UK is very important.

They are the ones who set our Credit Ratings and lend us money.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

14-09-2019, 11:35 AM

Hi

What other people think of the UK is very important.

They are the ones who set our Credit Ratings and lend us money.
The credit rating is based on economic activity within the UK which is derived from the GDP and has virtually nothing to do with the health of the domestic economy.

Instead it's about monetary transactions, most by far transactions within the finance sector.

The GDP is used as an indication of the probability of otherwise of Gilts and other bonds being correctly serviced.

The ONLY thing that matters where the International Finance sector is concerned is the probability of interest being paid on Bonds and Gilts and on-time redemption when they mature.

We could be black and walking backwards while chowing down on unicorns testicles as far as the International Finance sector is concerned. It couldn't care less.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top