Join for free
Page 9 of 15 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 11:37 PM

Re: LibDems want to revoke Article 50.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I've never heard of 'Political Uk' so I'm not sure of the veracity of that article.

If true, though, I shall be joining at least another 17.4 million people on 31 October celebrating the end of this bloody pantomime.

Then I shall be very careful of who I vote for at the next GE and hope that others do the same, especially those in the constituencies presently represented by traitors.
It's also on the BBC news tonight.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
All these different threads, and law suits, and political confusion , I'm not sure I know what's happening any longer... BUT

This tonight ! Does it mean we are to be kicked out ? I hope so. That will put paid to all the scheming two bit politicians who consider themselves to good to follow the democratic vote of the people .

Does it really mean we will be kicked out ?????

https://politicaluk.co.uk/2019/09/vo...kxSR4J5i7osGLU

Boris Johnson has reportedly been issued a new deadline ultimatum by French president Emmanuel Macron and Finnish PM Antti Rinne in Paris today
It is not yet clear whether other European leaders back the deadline.

Mr Macron is reportedly setting a 12-day deadline for Boris to find a new Brexit plan and to submit an alternative deal. If he fails to do so, the UK will leave with no-deal on the 31st of October.

Sorry, but that is not the deadline he has been offered. He has been given two weeks to come up on paper with the promised proposals for an alternative to the backstop. The alternatives need to be equivalent so that the withdrawal agreement (may's deal) can be ratifyed by HoC and the european parliament. That is what boris has been telling all along.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Sorry, but that is not the deadline he has been offered. He has been given two weeks to come up on paper with the promised proposals for an alternative to the backstop. The alternatives need to be equivalent so that the withdrawal agreement (may's deal) can be ratifyed by HoC and the european parliament. That is what boris has been telling all along.
Hi

Macron and his mate are not the EU.

They are in no position at all to issue such a deadline.

It has no legal force whatsoever.

If the EU issues a deadline that is a different matter altogether.

I will repeat my previous advice to you.

May's Deal was not ratified by our Parliament, it therefore does not exist in any legal way.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Macron and his mate are not the EU.

If the EU issues a deadline that is a different matter altogether.

I will repeat my previous advice to you.

May's Deal was not ratified by our Parliament, it therefore does not exist in any legal way.
The only deal on the table is may's deal. Drawn up by the respective executives of your country and the EU. It awaits ratification first by your HoC and the the european parliament.
Boris is trying to leave with a deal. Or so he says. Since the HoC doesn't believe he is serious about it, they legislated to ensure he does.

At present you are in an extension to ratify may's deal. Tusk warned you not to waste that time. Boris has indicated the backstop prevents the house ratifying the deal. The EU invited boris to come up with equivalent proposals for the backstop. By inference, if they are found may's deal will be ratified.
Contrary to his promises boris has not come up with proposals on paper. Now he has been given a clear deadline to do so.
1. No proposals, no talks on alternatives
2. No alternatives, may's deal in unaltered form stays on the table
3. No ratification by the house, no deal
4. No deal, boris goes to ask for another extension
5. Extension offered by the EU till end of 2020. But transition period will be scratched.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

19-09-2019, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

You of all people, with your background, should know the reason for this 'deadline'. Any proposal by the UK, regarding the backstop in the withdrawal deal, will be put on the agenda for the commission's meeting of october 16. The proposals will be accompanied by a short annotation from the civil servants. Agenda's, annotations, evaluations are drawn up in the first week of october.
It wouldn't do if the members of the european commission received an email from boris the day before the meeting:
I'm herewith sending the UK proposals on the backstop in ireland. Hope to see you all tomorrow. Warm greetings, boris.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
You of all people, with your background, should know the reason for this 'deadline'. Any proposal by the UK, regarding the backstop in the withdrawal deal, will be put on the agenda for the commission's meeting of october 16. The proposals will be accompanied by a short annotation from the civil servants. Agenda's, annotations, evaluations are drawn up in the first week of october.
It wouldn't do if the members of the european commission received an email from boris the day before the meeting:
I'm herewith sending the UK proposals on the backstop in ireland. Hope to see you all tomorrow. Warm greetings, boris.

Thats probably what they will get.
AidoPotato
UK
AidoPotato is male 

19-09-2019, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Very true. They've always been up for a fight... with themselves!
I think you and I both know that's nowhere near the full story JBR.
AidoPotato
UK
AidoPotato is male 

19-09-2019, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Perhaps the lrish could learn to love each other Spud?
Then they could reunite! NO need for eu backstop??
Regards Donkeyman!!
The arrangement we had post Good Friday Agreement was working fine. It was the most incredible turn around from the violence and hostility of the past. We found peace in all of Ireland and the world looked on in admiration.

Then Brexit happened, and the threat of it all being undone is very great. That is the long and the short of it, and this is one of the many impacts of Brexit.
AidoPotato
UK
AidoPotato is male 

19-09-2019, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
This tonight ! Does it mean we are to be kicked out ?
I heard various rumours knocking about online that there was likely to be a 1+ year extension. It's hard to know what's going on anymore.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

19-09-2019, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by AidoPotato ->
I heard various rumours knocking about online that there was likely to be a 1+ year extension. It's hard to know what's going on anymore.
There is a date that is starting to take a life ot it's own. When may came to the HoC with her deal, there were two important dates. March 29, as leaving date, and a transition period ending december 31 2020.
When the extension was granted, the leaving date eventually became october 31. The date of transition period ending remained the same.
So if the withdrawal deal (= may's deal) is ratified that date of december 31, 2020 is still around. What has been floated is the idea of signing the may deal, and agreeing to solve the backstop issue ultimately by december 31, 2020.
So, obviously, the may deal has been declared dead, but it is still around.

Page 9 of 15 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top