Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 02:14 PM

Re: Sick of social media and search engines and other dumbing down processes

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
You think he was an unreliable source? Most of the best information comes from other people these days and not rubbish search engines. I can see the internet being so user unfriendly that people get rid of it and go back to normal life.
So you get most of your "facts" from people you meet down t' boozer then!

That explains a lot.

But surely you see that a search engine is only like a library index and to get reliable information from what one extracts from t'interweb it should be treated as data, and that information is derived from lots of data?

Ever heard of orthogonal analysis of data and related data sets?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
So you get most of your "facts" from people you meet down t' boozer then!

That explains a lot.

But surely you see that a search engine is only like a library index and to get reliable information from what one extracts from t'interweb it should be treated as data, and that information is derived from lots of data?

Ever heard of orthogonal analysis of data and related data sets?

Ho Ho! you're too funny!

I know that it is very easy to abuse data and withhold bits without anyone realising. In google the results are prioritised based on their programming. So it's not a case of what you put in you get out. It's all about money and it's all bent. Just like the reviews online are rubbish. It's all about dumbing down. When it started it had integrity but now it's losing its usefulness. Whatever the reason for it, it sucks.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
When it comes down to it they are all interlinked. If they weren't, why do we see adverts about things we've searched for or even talked about on these places? If anybody wants info about you it can be found these days.
It's a sign of modern technology. Just be careful what you post that's all.
Well the worst of it is that they are listening to us. Next the facial recognition tech will be giving police (and presumably private agencies working for them) to access your camera when you use your phone. Does anyone remember agreeing to this? I don't! Facial recognition trials have not been discussed in Parliament and is not covered by law. A parliamentary committee advised they should be halted.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
I did wonder about that as I have never been asked about my internet usage.

An ESTA lasts for two years, The one I have runs out in Jan so maybe they never asked theses questions 2 years ago
The situation may have changed dramatically in the last couple of years, certainly for visa applicants:

U.S. Requiring Social Media Information From Visa Applicants

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/02/u...ial-media.html

June 2, 2019

Visa applicants to the United States are required to submit any information about social media accounts they have used in the past five years under a State Department policy that started on Friday.

Such account information would give the government access to photos, locations, dates of birth, dates of milestones and other personal data commonly shared on social media.

In March 2017, President Trump asked the secretary of state, the attorney general, the secretary of homeland security and the director of national intelligence to put in effect “a uniform baseline for screening and vetting standards and procedures,” according to a memo published in the Federal Register. Requiring information about the social media accounts of visa applicants was part of that.

The move represents a step up from a September 2017 measure in which the Homeland Security Department proposed and enacted a regulation calling for the surveillance of social media use of all immigrants, including naturalized citizens. During the Obama administration, the State Department began to ask visa applicants to voluntarily submit their social media information.

The added requirement could dissuade visa applicants, who may see it as a psychological barrier to enter the United States.

The social media web today is a map of our contacts, associations, habits and preferences. This kind of requirement will result in suspicion of surveillance of travelers and their networks of friends, families and business associates.The government had failed to explain how it would use this information.

Further, the government has been unable to prove that social media can provide reliable indications that identify a security threat.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 02:35 PM

Ho Ho! you're too funny!

I know that it is very easy to abuse data and withhold bits without anyone realising. In google the results are prioritised based on their programming. So it's not a case of what you put in you get out. It's all about money and it's all bent. Just like the reviews online are rubbish. It's all about dumbing down. When it started it had integrity but now it's losing its usefulness. Whatever the reason for it, it sucks.
So don't use it then.

Sorted.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

19-09-2019, 02:40 PM

Well the worst of it is that they are listening to us. Next the facial recognition tech will be giving police (and presumably private agencies working for them) to access your camera when you use your phone. Does anyone remember agreeing to this? I don't! Facial recognition trials have not been discussed in Parliament and is not covered by law. A parliamentary committee advised they should be halted.
If we hadn't allowed filth to become established in this country such security would not be needed.

But now it is.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
The situation may have changed dramatically in the last couple of years, certainly for visa applicants:

U.S. Requiring Social Media Information From Visa Applicants

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/02/u...ial-media.html

June 2, 2019

Thanks for the link.

You still can learn something new even at my age.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 05:21 PM

One thing we now have to be very careful of is pour past history on the internet.

For instance, if you are visiting the USA, you will now need to fill in a huge form about your internet use. What you don't disclose may be found by their 'detectives' and you will be refused entry to the country.
I wouldn't set foot in america if you paid my fare, Floydy, so I won't lose any sleep over their stupid forms.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I wouldn't set foot in america if you paid my fare, Floydy, so I won't lose any sleep over their stupid forms.
I'm very much looking forward to going next year, Tabby. It's such a diverse country with lots to see.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

19-09-2019, 06:10 PM

I'm very much looking forward to going next year, Tabby. It's such a diverse country with lots to see.
Have you visited America before?

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top