Page 9 of 17 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
AidoPotato
UK
AidoPotato is male 

18-09-2019, 06:23 PM

Re: Hernia

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Hi mate, pleased to meet you btw. Enjoy the forum etc

Yes, they tell me that is what will be done, sealing it up with some mesh. Can I ask: how long did it take after the operation before you went back to work? I realise everyone is a different case, various trades etc, but just to give me some idea?
I was back working within a week. It was quite sore to walk for the first 2 days but it eased up. I've mainly had office based employment so I'm not sure my example is the best to be honest. There is no way I would have been able to work in trades for a good couple of months if my memory serves me correctly.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by AidoPotato ->
I was back working within a week. It was quite sore to walk for the first 2 days but it eased up. I've mainly had office based employment so I'm not sure my example is the best to be honest. There is no way I would have been able to work in trades for a good couple of months if my memory serves me correctly.
Well part of my job involves lifting. I'm a stock controller and I make space around a warehouse for fast moving stock and get rid of other products. It's cartons of safety footwear (120 pairs per case) plus boxes of gloves, workwear, construction equipment, tools etc. so it does involve a lot of manual palletising before it's moved by forklifts. About 20% is office work though. I may be able to work around the situation for a short while driving a reach truck thereby minimising the manual handling. We'll see how I'm affected after my recovery period - but I'll get the operation over with first...whenever that may be.
Thanks bud.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 10:28 PM

You need to get signed off work for longer Floydy. It's really important that you take it easy and don't lift things after the op. Your recovery will be the priority. If your employer is not sympathetic and tries to push it then you have every right to any benefits available. Plus you could take them to court.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
You need to get signed off work for longer Floydy. It's really important that you take it easy and don't lift things after the op. Your recovery will be the priority. If your employer is not sympathetic and tries to push it then you have every right to any benefits available. Plus you could take them to court.
The longest absence note the doctor would give me this time Annie was a further four weeks off work. I did mention all of this above actually
My employer is now fine with things and I have their full support. They understand that there will then be recovery time also and there is no problem. There is no issue about taking anybody to court whatsoever.

I also understand that I must take things easy and I do know my limits, as I have also spoken about.

I'm now finding plenty of things to occupy my time and as you say, the main focus is rest and taking things easy
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I'm now finding plenty of things to occupy my time and as you say, the main focus is rest and taking things easy
Floydy, you are a stalwart. Philosophical about your ailment.
And a great contributor to the forum.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

19-09-2019, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Floydy, you are a stalwart. Philosophical about your ailment.
And a great contributor to the forum.
Aw shucks mate, thanks
Likewise bud. I always enjoy reading your posts
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

19-09-2019, 09:09 PM

I'm actually having a bit of a conundrum about drinking at the moment. My hernia is restricting me from eating and drinking anything in reasonable quantities as the food pushes the irritating thing out every time I bloody stand up. Even a can of Guinness watching a film is too much now, just a few sips of water. It's the feeling of being bloated all the time.

I usually get together with friends at the weekend. Last Saturday I went out with them but couldn't stomach any more than a couple of pints without being 'full' and had to go home. It's getting awful that I can't even see anybody for a beer now.
I can't sit down for too long, I can't stand up and go for a decent walk - the sodding thing starts aggravating me.
What the hell do I do with myself?! No happy, sorry folks
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 09:23 PM

Floydy, you have to understand that while you have this Hernia you have to adjust your life to cope with it. You cannot continue doing what you want or have been doing, it will have to be what your hernia will allow you to do.

Hernias are quite common, just take things easy as you may have to wait months yet for your op.

Mr Mags went through the same years ago, he discovered which foods were better for him, didn't do anything strenuous and was careful right up to his op. In those days, unless it was a strangulated hernia, the waiting list was one or two weeks but these days it can be weeks and weeks or even months before you are seen.

Try to be patient, worrying won't help you.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

19-09-2019, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Floydy, you have to understand that while you have this Hernia you have to adjust your life to cope with it. You cannot continue doing what you want or have been doing, it will have to be what your hernia will allow you to do.

Hernias are quite common, just take things easy as you may have to wait months yet for your op.

Mr Mags went through the same years ago, he discovered which foods were better for him, didn't do anything strenuous and was careful right up to his op. In those days, unless it was a strangulated hernia, the waiting list was one or two weeks but these days it can be weeks and weeks or even months before you are seen.

Try to be patient, worrying won't help you.
I know Mags, it's just really getting me down now.
I have actually found a book (written by the Hairy Bikers) about making smaller 'diet' meals and I'll be getting some ingredients to put together some suitable meals. Pottering around the kitchen doing that will be good for me. I used to enjoy cooking when I lived off base in my final years in the RAF, so that will be enjoyable I think.

I need to find some kind of balance between sitting down all the time (which I'm not used to as I'm normally a very active person) and walking too far. And I can't very well walk around the house all day. You don't get very far in a three-bedroom semi without going in the same rooms again, unless I mark time, soldier-style!

Going to the gym on Tuesday proved pointless. I couldn't really do very much and as you say it's not worth the risk. I just need to keep relatively fit otherwise I'll be worse if I get too fat, the hernia will be pushed out even more. I can't win!

I'll just keep chasing the hospital up, all I can do really.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 10:23 PM

I understand what you mean Floydy, it's very difficult to change your way of life when you have been so active.
These things happen, adjust your life while waiting for the op, then you can gradually get back to your real life.

Good luck anyway, I'm sure you'll cope one way to the other.

Page 9 of 17 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top