Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 11:30 PM

Re: It's a breadcake, innit?

Originally Posted by Judd ->
A breadcake, in and around Leeds is what we call a teacake where I live. It's larger and flatter than the one in your picture which we call a bap.
Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Teacake, our Judd and me are from same neck 'o woods and we are reight, it's a ruddy teacake a tell thee, a teacake!
No no noooooo.
A teacake is one of those breadcakes with sultanas in it that you eat toasted and cut in half. Like at that little cafe on the seafront at Hornsea.

Or alternatively, those spherical chocolate-covered marshmallow cakes in silver and red foil that Tunnock's make.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
No no noooooo.
A teacake is one of those breadcakes with sultanas in it that you eat toasted and cut in half. Like at that little cafe on the seafront at Hornsea.

Or alternatively, those spherical chocolate-covered marshmallow cakes in silver and red foil that Tunnock's make.
Tha's talking a load on old tea'rcakes ya silly bugger floydy, just ask ar Judd
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 12:18 AM

It's a bread roll to me and most of the UK.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by CoffeeCake ->
I would call that a crusty roll.
The one pictured is soft, this one's crusty:

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

05-07-2019, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Up North in Lancashire, they are called Baps.

or Barms/Barmcakes .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

05-07-2019, 12:38 AM

Some people, especially in the North/North-East, call bread rolls "buns" but that's a whole new can of worms .....

In Warwickshire, particularly Coventry, a bread roll is a "batch", as in "faggot'n'pea batch" .....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

It's a bread roll to me and most of the UK.
Actually yes it is, also it's a bread cake in my parts. Everybody has different words for things wherever they come from obviously.

If that's a bread roll, this is definitely a bread cake in East Yorkshire. Flatter and usually baked home made with flour on:

And these are what we call toasted teacakes:
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

05-07-2019, 01:22 AM

Actually yes it is, also it's a bread cake in my parts. Everybody has different words for things wherever they come from obviously.

If that's a bread roll, this is definitely a bread cake in East Yorkshire. Flatter and usually baked home made with flour on:

The picture link says "bread_rolls" and the site host describes them as "Soft Bread Rolls" and says "I thought I'd have a go at making a 'burger type' soft roll, minus the sesame seed 'cos I've ran out!"

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=368

And these are what we call toasted teacakes:

Indeed ..... I've never seen them called anything else .....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Up North in Lancashire, they are called Baps.

In some places baps are boobies
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 08:43 AM

Ha, we were down in Cornwall and went to a roadside cafe called nice baps it’s on trip advisor ( google it) Kev and his missus are both lovely, and the food is great,, anyhoo, back on topic
Tea cakes are the fruit filled toasted lovelies
But I’m afraid your all wrong with the others

They’re BREADBUNS,! folks...

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top