Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 02:52 PM

Re: Chiropractors are they any good?

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Put simply it cannot .
Muddy as you've been a horsewoman do you really think your lower spine and hips havn't suffered ? Result , arthritis .
Anyway you should ask for a blood test which will show up anything causing inflammation . Be brave one tiny prick of a needle is all ,you don't even have to see it !
If there' s no inflammation , it's possibly weakness in the muscles that's causing pain .The blood test will show up a low Vit D level and if so can be corrected .
I wouldn't pay good money out in case it's just as you said ,growing old these bodies of ours are not what they used to be and incidentally .....why are you falling asleep on the settee? No good for a bad back at all unless you have the comfort of a hot water bottle on it to relax the muscles . Better than any painkiller !
I will get that hottie bottle out right away !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Muddy, I agree with Zuleiker about asking for an ESR blood test first, or even an x-ray. Then you will know what you're dealing with for sure.

The only problem I have with the inflammatory test is it shows what degree of inflammation there is, but not WHERE it is! Can be anywhere from top to toe, so in that way it may not be much help.

Also, the ESR can be higher just with age, but they should make allowances for this.

How you feeling now, anyway?
I am feeling a bit better thank you .
I did have an x Ray my spine is slightly bent one side slightly higher that the other probably due to falls in my life .
I also have little spurs on the vertebrae which pinch the discs a bit .
However paracetamol at night seems to be working quite well.

Thank you everyone for you help
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 03:47 PM

Your back sounds rather like mine , slipping on my back so many times on icy streets and a disc that prolapsed when I lifted a heavy mirror plus of course wear and tear over the years .
Have you got that hot water bottle out ? Bliss for a hurting back !
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 04:52 PM

Being in the fitness game for many years I have come across many people who have injured their backs.

I have heard so many horror stories about chiropractors you wouldn't believe. Most of the people who have seen one have advised that you have got to see a very good one who knows exactly what they are doing.
If you are getting your bones abd ligaments pulled around it can so easily all go wrong. Yes, they may (be lucky) and fix the problem first time but often they pull other bones out of place, sometimes even breaking them irreparably. It's a very dubious practice and I wouldn't go anywhere near one.

I have no idea about acupuncture.

I recommend a professional sports physio to go and see. They tend to field injuries from football and rugby players and a good massage and some magic spray works wonders.
Far, far safer than a chiropractor.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Being in the fitness game for many years I have come across many people who have injured their backs.

I have heard so many horror stories about chiropractors you wouldn't believe. Most of the people who have seen one have advised that you have got to see a very good one who knows exactly what they are doing.
If you are getting your bones abd ligaments pulled around it can so easily all go wrong. Yes, they may (be lucky) and fix the problem first time but often they pull other bones out of place, sometimes even breaking them irreparably. It's a very dubious practice and I wouldn't go anywhere near one.

I have no idea about acupuncture.

I recommend a professional sports physio to go and see. They tend to field injuries from football and rugby players and a good massage and some magic spray works wonders.
Far, far safer than a chiropractor.

I have never, ever heard of anything like that, Floydy!
I have only had good experiences personally.

Like I said way back though, I firmly believe there are good and bad in any 'trade.' I would never tar them all with the same brush - unless I had seen them all first.

Remember you said something similar about till operators in another thread?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have never, ever heard of anything like that, Floydy!
I have only had good experiences personally.

Like I said way back though, I firmly believe there are good and bad in any 'trade.' I would never tar them all with the same brush - unless I had seen them all first.

Remember you said something similar about till operators in another thread?
And that's why I said make sure you get a good one, Mups

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top