Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 01:07 PM

Hospital acquired Infections

I found this interesting but scary at the same time.

In America, around 100,000 patients die each year from infections passed on by doctors who didn't wash their hands between seeing patients!
Most of the deaths happened in hospitals.
I wonder what the figures are in the UK?

Suspicions were aroused in some areas, and the staff were observed in Intensive Care Units for nine months.
The result was, only half were washing their hands after working in a dirtier environment.
The rate of proper hygiene practices was worst when staff were wearing surgical gloves.

We hear of hospital acquired infections all the time, don't we. But where do they come from?

My poor old Mum ended up with C-Diff AND E.Coli during a stay in hospital. Even then it was only sorted out after I kicked up about it and insisted she was tested.
Up until then they were still bagging up all her unbelievably foul washing to take home, leaving me exposed also.

I wrote a formal complaint afterwards at the way she was treated.
I remember she was then isolated and I had to wear gloves, gowns etc to visit her even. It was an awful time for her - and me. She was in her late 80's at the time. My poor Mum.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 01:25 PM

Re: Hospital acquired Infections

I seem to remember years ago there was a superbug in hospitals, might have been MRSA, not sure....and after that all these hand gels appeared and medical staff were told/taught to use them before and after attending patients.

It could also be passed from clothing etc.

The problem these days is these superbugs are becoming resistant to the gels.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 04:53 PM

Mups your poor mum how awful to hear this . Sometimes our hospital closes its wards due to the sick bug virus . No visitors

Many many years ago I had a big OP at our local hospital . I was allowed home and about 5/6 days later the scarring started to weep ( my lower tummy area ) and that night the cut across my abdomen split open with nasty infection. The doctor came and told me I would have got the infection DURING the operation. The fact it had burst open was a good thing as all the horrid stuff came away . It was never followed up and I recovered .

I think because I was young and strong nothing untoward happened to me afterwards.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 04:57 PM

Best to stay out of hospital if at all possible.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Best to stay out of hospital if at all possible.

Not 'arf, Muddy.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 05:32 PM

Prior to my recent hernia surgery I was screened for MRSA/MRSS. I proved positive for MRSS (which is carried by about a third of the poulation, apparently). While it is not as lethal as MRSA, MRSS has to be pre-treated before surgery - this involves thorough, clinical, skin-cleansing and "anointing" (at home) for five days before admission - bath/shower, rinse, dry, spread anti-MRSS foam over whole body then treat nose with anti-MRSS gel.

I didn't contract any infection and I didn't die, so the pre-treatment must have worked .....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-09-2019, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Prior to my recent hernia surgery I was screened for MRSA/MRSS. I proved positive for MRSS (which is carried by about a third of the poulation, apparently). While it is not as lethal as MRSA, MRSS has to be pre-treated before surgery - this involves thorough, clinical, skin-cleansing and "anointing" (at home) for five days before admission - bath/shower, rinse, dry, spread anti-MRSS foam over whole body then treat nose with anti-MRSS gel.

I didn't contract any infection and I didn't die, so the pre-treatment must have worked .....

Well done Omah, glad you were alright.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 09:35 PM

You have to be healthy to survive in hospital these days!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2019, 03:59 PM

The one time Mrs LD was in hospital, she was advised by a nurse to go home for the weekend and come back on Monday or risk catching something nasty.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2019, 04:50 PM

Hi

My story.

I was admitted with Cellulitis, swabs taken, E .Coli, a common cause of infection.

The only causative agent, very common.

Discharged, readmitted when it came back.

Swabs taken, and C .Difficile found.

C. Difficile was not found in my intestine, it was in the infection.

I am not a carrier, it was Hospital Acquired.

I was discharged again, only to be readmitted again, this time with not only C.Difficile but swabs showing a Fungal Infection which is only acquired in Hospital.

It is drug resistant.

I am in a mess.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top