Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 06:59 AM

Re: Why do we like to be frightened?

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Being scared activates the "fight or flight" mechanism in our bodies. This involves the sudden release of endorphins and adrenaline to give us a "turbo charge" to deal with threats. The fact that they are just movies doesn't make much difference. The whole reason why movies and acting works is because we suspend disbelief. IN other words, the interaction between the presentation and the viewer creates the false reality that we have to fall for to make the experience work. If the acting, the story and the production is good enough, we usually do. We all know that movies and enjoying them can be kind of addictive. So can going to the gym. That endorphin release is very powerful and can become addictive. As can obtaining that same release from watching scary movies. You either love them or you don't. There is also another element to it. THat is what the Germans call "Schadenfreude". This is the mirror image of empathy and/or sympathy; the edgy feeling you can get when you can sit back nice and safe and watch somebody else's misery or pain and feel kind of smug because it's not you. Hence how people used to flock to public executions or punishments or still do to traffic accidents etc. If we do or have done this it doesn't mean we are awful, cruel people. It means we are normal. It's part of all of us. Sorry to be so clinical. But you know what they say..You can take the boy out of the job but not the job out of the boy.
Thank you, Keezoy, for such a full explanation!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
We like to be frightened because it's a controlled way of getting the thrill of a dangerous situation without the actual jeopardy. Simple.
Never thought of it like that - thank you, Eccles.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I have just watched an episode of 'Trial and Retribution' on DVD. It takes place mainly in a fairground with dodgem cars, Ferris wheel and the obligatory ghost train. Two detectives go through the ghost train and are hit by a dead body falling on them ... and so the story evolves.

But I fell to wondering - why are ghost trains so popular?
Why are horror movies so popular?
What is it in our psyche that makes us want to be scared witless by such things?
WE? I can only speak for myself but I very much dislike horror movies and not very fond of being scared , no matter what the source.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
We like to be frightened because it's a controlled way of getting the thrill of a dangerous situation without the actual jeopardy. Simple.
Exactly..Schadenfreude!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I have just watched an episode of 'Trial and Retribution' on DVD. It takes place mainly in a fairground with dodgem cars, Ferris wheel and the obligatory ghost train. Two detectives go through the ghost train and are hit by a dead body falling on them ... and so the story evolves.

But I fell to wondering - why are ghost trains so popular?
Why are horror movies so popular?
What is it in our psyche that makes us want to be scared witless by such things?
Last night we watched a film called Hell fest on Netflicks which is very similar to what you are saying. Ok, it is just a slasher movie but it is surprisingly well done. Hell Fest is a horror theme park, where ghouls and things chase the customers around, so what better place for a mass murderer to hide out. If you like all things Halloween, it's a must watch.

We thoroughly enjoyed it but why, I have no idea. Why do we enjoy watching murder mysteries when murder is the worst thing that can happen. Odd isn't it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Being scared activates the "fight or flight" mechanism in our bodies. This involves the sudden release of endorphins and adrenaline to give us a "turbo charge" to deal with threats. The fact that they are just movies doesn't make much difference. The whole reason why movies and acting works is because we suspend disbelief. IN other words, the interaction between the presentation and the viewer creates the false reality that we have to fall for to make the experience work. If the acting, the story and the production is good enough, we usually do. We all know that movies and enjoying them can be kind of addictive. So can going to the gym. That endorphin release is very powerful and can become addictive. As can obtaining that same release from watching scary movies. You either love them or you don't. There is also another element to it. THat is what the Germans call "Schadenfreude". This is the mirror image of empathy and/or sympathy; the edgy feeling you can get when you can sit back nice and safe and watch somebody else's misery or pain and feel kind of smug because it's not you. Hence how people used to flock to public executions or punishments or still do to traffic accidents etc. If we do or have done this it doesn't mean we are awful, cruel people. It means we are normal. It's part of all of us. Sorry to be so clinical. But you know what they say..You can take the boy out of the job but not the job out of the boy.
A good explanation Keezoy.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 10:56 PM

I love horror films if they are done properly. A good thriller which has plenty of suspense rather than all-out gore is a masterful piece of cinema (such as 'Alien' or 'Psycho'). The 'Saw' and 'Hostel' films leave me cold and verge on the border of being sadistic. People with axes going after children for instance. That is just sick.

I'm watching the box set of 'American Horror Story' at the moment, made for TV, and although it's a bit bloodthirsty, it's well-made and has some excellent acting in it (Jessica Lange is always wonderful).

Some of my favourites are Event Horizon, The Shining and various zombie movies (The Evil Dead, 28 Days Later, etc).
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 09:06 AM

I'm not keen on blood and guts horror but I like being sat on the edge of my seat and then almost jumping out of the chair as the story unfolds....I'm like you tabs if it gets too scary I'm friends with a cushion
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I love horror films if they are done properly. A good thriller which has plenty of suspense rather than all-out gore is a masterful piece of cinema (such as 'Alien' or 'Psycho'). The 'Saw' and 'Hostel' films leave me cold and verge on the border of being sadistic. People with axes going after children for instance. That is just sick.

I'm watching the box set of 'American Horror Story' at the moment, made for TV, and although it's a bit bloodthirsty, it's well-made and has some excellent acting in it (Jessica Lange is always wonderful).

Some of my favourites are Event Horizon, The Shining and various zombie movies (The Evil Dead, 28 Days Later, etc).
Yup 28 Days Later...a favourite of mine but you definitely need a cushion to hide behind for that one
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Yup 28 Days Later...a favourite of mine but you definitely need a cushion to hide behind for that one
It's remarkable how they filmed it in central London with nobody around. Apparently most of it was done at 5am in the morning in the summer.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top