Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 01:36 PM

Chatting at the checkout.

Got our shopping this morning and was pleased to see a checkout with just one elderly man being served. After the man had carefully packed his shopping into his bag, carefully and slowly flipped each card in his wallet looking for his loyalty card then went through them all again for his bank card; he finished the transaction then proceeded to tell the checkout operator a story about the time he went to Yorkshire which somehow involved Yorkshire puddings.

There was now a rather long queue starting to form but still he went on and on and on and on. He was now at the end of the checkout looking back so was fully aware of the people waiting with smoke coming out of their ears.

By this time I had had enough, went around him and started packing the shopping that the operator was scanning andMrs LD was passing to me. The man was now in between us, still banging on about puddings.

Eventually he went, apologising for holding us up..

I sort of mumbled something under my breath but later on, felt a bit guilty because he was probably just a lonely person out for a chat.

So what is the permitted amount of time for a chat at the checkout? Should customers be allowed to finish their stories (however boring) or should they know when to shut up?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 02:13 PM

Re: Chatting at the checkout.

He could well have been a lonely man out for a chat.

But maybe he doesn't realise that many people live very busy/hectic lifestyles..

I think chatting while scanning the products is ok...but when the time comes to pay.....the chatting should stop..IMO...after all it is a supermarket...not a luncheon club..
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 02:17 PM

The people who do that job here in London don't speak English.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 02:56 PM

This has happened to me many times over the years.

It's up to the checker to be polite, but when the transaction is finished, end the chat with a "Thank you for shopping with us, come again soon."

Customers do enjoy swapping a tale or two while the merchandise is being rung up, but should be considerate of the line of folks waiting behind them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 03:37 PM

I think you've got to take each case as it comes, dongle.

Some people are just plain rude and couldn't care less about keeping others waiting, but they're not all the same.

Perhaps the check out lady is the only person that old chap will see till he goes back next week. Who knows.

It's the ones who try to pack one handed while gassing on their mobile phones that really annoy me.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 03:39 PM

I got a laugh out of the cashier and the next customer in line at the supermarket we visit. Usually they ask if you need help with packing.
This time I had just one item - a four pack of beer and my carrier bag open and ready. No offer of help was made.
"I need help with mu packing."
She laughed and put the beer in the bag.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
This has happened to me many times over the years.

It's up to the checker to be polite, but when the transaction is finished, end the chat with a "Thank you for shopping with us, come again soon."

Customers do enjoy swapping a tale or two while the merchandise is being rung up, but should be considerate of the line of folks waiting behind them.
Yes, he did all that and looked quite embarrassed about it tbh. The cashier was not encouraging him in any way, just being polite, as they all are in there.

I always allow for older people that are a bit slower, I'm sure it comes to all of us in the end but I thought to start a long conversation was a bit rude. No doubt he thought I was rude for moving his trolley out of the way.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

16-09-2019, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
The people who do that job here in London don't speak English.
I don't think that would have stopped him.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 06:08 PM

Depends on how attractive the cashier is, and weather the mrs is in earshot....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 06:17 PM

Yes, I'm finding this too.
Because I'm off work at the moment I'm seeing actual daylight in the mornings instead of being asleep so I've been going to the supermarket occasionally.
Tesco and Asda are absolutely full of old people! I think that's a good idea because they should be banned from weekends and busy periods as that is when working people need to do their shopping and not be held up by people rambling on and on. It's a bit like this place when a thread tends to run its course and people start to go off on a tangent about anything that comes into their head with their little quips and silly anecdotes.

But, on the other hand, this man who probably knows he can get away with it because he is old and people will feel sorry for him, was out of order this morning, Longdogs.
Fair enough, if there was nobody else in the queue there isn't a problem, and Sylvia, the checkout operator could probably do with some company and a chat but to hold up all those people is plainly rude and inconsiderate no matter how interesting he thinks he is. Security guards should have removed him and fed him to pigs.

What were the other people in the queue saying?:
The scowling woman with two infants, aged 2 and 4 who were screaming and bawling?
The business gent in a navy suit with his copy of the Financial Times and a bottle of Glenmorangie single malt?
The elderly lady on a rare outing away from OFF in her long pastel blue overcoat and furry hat with her copy of People's Friend, tut-tut-tutting (but secretly wishing the old man was free and single as she likes Yorkshire puddings)?
Me trying to hold my hernia in it's socket, wincing and looking daggers?
Longdogs with his vinyl re-issue of Boston's second album, itching to get it home and play it whilst Murtagh tucks into his meatballs?

Yes, I'd peruse the queue first and weight up the clientele before joining it in future mate

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top