Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 06:27 PM

Re: Petition for a more realistic pension

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I've just had to apply for my State Pension, when I worked out what I would get I was quite pleased, I've never had so much money! Looking forwards to the heating allowance, being able to keep warm for a change without worrying!
Shame I had to wait an extra 5 years and 7 months for it though! I think my health would not have suffered so much.
I think this says it all.
When the Pensions people moved the goalposts and it was no longer 60 for a woman to get her state pension, it put a lot of people into jeopardy.
It was a mean trick.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
No, it means that the shortfall between the state earnings related benefit is made up by means tested benefits.

IMO there should not be a state age related benefit at all.

Instead means tested benefits should provide for the needs, not the wants but the needs, of those unable to provide for themselves.

Todger, You sound a real, ‘I’m alright jack’.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
But I'm not. I'm a realist. What can't be paid for can't be had.

I've NEVER used "finance", our first house we bought for cash and although I do have a credit card we only use it for the benefits and pay it down each month.

There's already been a hell of a fuss over just scratching the surface of the huge debt with the hated austerity measures but when it has to be tackled head on and the reduction in the living standard hits home there will be all hell break out.

This country is horribly dependant on "invisible exports". It's the elephant in the room that so many people are not even aware of and seemingly all politicians won't even admit to even if they do see it.

I have my own view of what life will be like in the UK if there is a collapse of even much reduction of our exports but I'll keep it to myself because I really doubt if most people would give it any credibility

All I will say is Dickensian. We have been living waaay beyond our means for decades.

For those so inclined spending just a little time with the treasury Red and Blue books and when it comes to a good night's sleep it'll be a case of Quoth the Raven ----
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Actually I think he could be onto something that could really work better than what we have now. It would also mean those who don't know they are entitled to top up benefits to their pension would automatically get them without having to apply separately.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 09:20 AM

A post to keep this thread up-to-date. I received an e-mail today giving the Government response to the petition which was the subject of this thread. It would appear they still believe it possible for a person to live on £167.25 a week so no need to link it to the National Minimum Wage, see reply below:

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Link the state pension to the adult minimum wage £328.40p per week.”.

Government responded:

Government has no plans to link State Pension with National Minimum Wage. We want a decent, secure income for people in retirement, and will spend over £120 billion on pensioner benefits in 2019/20.

Comparisons made in this petition between other countries and the National Minimum Wage do not take into account the full package of measures available to support people in retirement. We are committed to ensuring economic security for people at every stage of their life, including when they reach retirement.

We spend over £120 billion on benefits for pensioners, including the £99 billion on the State Pension predicted for this year 2019/20. State pension spend is expected to increase from 5.0% of GDP in 2022-23 to 6.9% in 2067-68.

It is very difficult to make meaningful comparisons between pension schemes in different countries because there are so many fundamental differences in the way they are run. You have to look at the whole system, not just State Pension.

There are many other factors to take into account – different tax systems, different healthcare systems, different pension ages, cost of living, access to occupational pensions and the availability of other social security benefits, as well as the provision of services and goods free to pensioners or at concessionary rates.

This petition suggests linking the State Pension and the National Minimum Wage. The two have different purposes, and a direct comparison cannot be drawn. The National Minimum Wage is designed to protect low income workers and provide an incentive to work by ensuring that all workers benefit from as generous a wage as possible.

The Government introduced the Triple Lock and recommitted itself to it for the duration of this Parliament, guaranteeing that up to the full amounts of the basic and new State Pensions will rise by the highest of average earnings growth, price inflation, or 2.5%. As a result, the full yearly amount of the basic State Pension in 2019/20 is around £675 higher than if it had just been up-rated by earnings since April 2010. That’s a rise of over £1,600 in cash terms.

This Government has always acknowledged that it is important that a safety net exists for those pensioners who find themselves without an adequate income in retirement. Pension Credit is a means-tested benefit, paid for out of general taxation. It is made up of 2 parts: the Guarantee Credit, which tops up other income to a standard minimum level (for a single person this is currently £167.25 a week and for a couple £255.25) and, for those who reached State Pension age before 6 April 2016, the Savings Credit, which is an extra amount for those who have made some additional provision for their retirement. The Government also continues to provide some non-means tested benefits for people in retirement.

In 2016, the Government introduced the new State Pension to provide a simpler, clearer and a sustainable foundation for private saving. With the new State Pension, people will know from a much younger age how much they’re likely to get, providing a solid base for their saving and retirement planning.

Department for Work and Pensions.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 09:27 AM

Just as expected . I think we all knew this anyway
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 09:34 AM

Signed Julie..
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 10:21 AM

Ha! I don't get Winter Fuel allowance because I wasn't born before April 4th! September and October are qualifying months and I get my pension in November! Not sure if that means it's finishing or if I get it next year!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Ha! I don't get Winter Fuel allowance because I wasn't born before April 4th! September and October are qualifying months and I get my pension in November! Not sure if that means it's finishing or if I get it next year!
At a guess I would think you will get the Winter Fuel Allowance the next year. After qualifying for it after the date you first get your pension you will fulfil the necessary requirement of being retired in the previous September and October.

Unless of course it is cancelled before then and nobody knows, that could happen at any time!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 06:45 PM

You would think it would start along with your pension.
Perhaps it will if they means test it for folk on Pension Credit only.
No matter, I'll apply for Warm Home Discount with my electricity supplier instead

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top