Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 08:43 AM

Re: Downton Abbey - the film.

love the the tv series cant wait for more' big fan --
but I am not surprised the film would not come up to scratch..
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 08:47 AM

Looking forward to going to the cinema to see it . I loved the series
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 09:49 AM

I felt the TV series lost its way after a good start, so I will not be rushing out to see it. Eventually it will be on TV anyway (sooner than expected if the reviews are anything to go by). I might have watched it but the 'men kissing' bandwagon has put en end to that. Typical I suppose.
Friend
New Member!
New Zealand
Friend is female 

20-09-2019, 09:52 AM

I've never seen the series but I did go to the movies. I quite liked seeing the men kiss. It wasn't a super exciting movie, more of a nice chick flick - my husband would have hated it. It had such a super duper cheesy happy ever after ending that made you go awww... like a Disneyland fairytale ending.

I'd rate it 5/10. And two of those points go to the men kissing.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Friend ->
I've never seen the series but I did go to the movies. I quite liked seeing the men kiss. It wasn't a super exciting movie, more of a nice chick flick - my husband would have hated it. It had such a super duper cheesy happy ever after ending that made you go awww... like a Disneyland fairytale ending.

I'd rate it 5/10. And two of those points go to the men kissing.
Haha....You're Obviously a woman, Friend..
I don't mind seeing two women kiss, but I'm afraid not blokes...and for that reason I would give it 5/10 ...It would have earned more without the men kissing....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 12:26 PM

I'm not into Downton Abbey so won't be going to watch it and definitely won't now, I don't feel comfortable watching men kiss and don't want to feel uncomfortable watching a film.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Haha....You're Obviously a woman, Friend..
I don't mind seeing two women kiss, but I'm afraid not blokes...and for that reason I would give it 5/10 ...It would have earned more without the men kissing....
I agree with you Foxy. Strange that!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 07:00 PM

Well - I was dragged in to VUE Cinema to see this today. It began well - in fact the first half an hour was quite good. Then it went straight down silly street and became a cliche ridden load of drivel. Julian Fellowes must have lost his marbles somewhere if he thinks for one minute that any of it was remotely believable. A butler back answering an Earl in a way that would/should have had him instantly dismissed. Mr Mosley daring to speak in a disrespectful way to the King. These were servants who had been the household of an Earl for years and should therefore have known how to behave. Queen Mary's dressmaker - a thief? A caricature of a french chef?

A scene between Dowager Countess Grantham and Lady Mary Crawley/Talbot that was supposed to be poignant was so badly scripted that I just fell about laughing!

A waste of money and, more importantly, two hours of my time.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 07:21 PM

I went yesterday and I agree .
Although it was a nice bit of escapism and I liked the dancing I did feel like becoming a communist with all that syncophantic crawling to the Crawleys !
( then I thought of Corbyn and thought maybe not )
Queen Mary was a kleptomaniac and did in fact steal stuff from her hosts .
George V was anything but genial to all accounts .
They were a ghastly couple .
People must have hated having them to stay .
Lord lascelles built that massive pile ( Harewood House ) on the back of the slave plantations his family had owned in the Caribbean .
So much for the aristocracy.
It was nice to see the inside of Highclere though.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Well - I was dragged in to VUE Cinema to see this today. It began well - in fact the first half an hour was quite good. Then it went straight down silly street and became a cliche ridden load of drivel. Julian Fellowes must have lost his marbles somewhere if he thinks for one minute that any of it was remotely believable. A butler back answering an Earl in a way that would/should have had him instantly dismissed. Mr Mosley daring to speak in a disrespectful way to the King. These were servants who had been the household of an Earl for years and should therefore have known how to behave. Queen Mary's dressmaker - a thief? A caricature of a french chef?

A scene between Dowager Countess Grantham and Lady Mary Crawley/Talbot that was supposed to be poignant was so badly scripted that I just fell about laughing!

A waste of money and, more importantly, two hours of my time.
And then blokes kissing.......

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top