Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2015, 10:28 AM

Re: Energy To Matter - How is it done?

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Seeds get their energy from light, nutrients and water, without any of these the seed wouldn't survive.
There is a word for it but I can't remember it.
are you thinking of Photosynthesis Wrinkly..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2015, 10:28 AM

Realist, I have been mesmerised by your original observation.
It's as if the tree has developed from nothing, the same as the crab shell.
I focused my thoughts on to the mighty Sperm Whale; one of the largest living things on the planet, and wondered how this mighty animal could survive and grow on just microscopic foodstuffs [plankton] and applied this to the tree anomaly.

There are many forms of life growing in the soil: Vegetable matter, fungus and other bacteria, add to this the chemical make up of the surrounding air, and finally the energy absorbed from the sunlight. All these things can be turned into tree like matter for our tree to grow. Although the Oak tree is very large, it takes a long time to get to that size, so it's requirements on a daily basis would be very small.

Very little grows under the large spreading Oak tree, which again would suggest that nutrients are taken from the soil, the larger the tree, the larger the root spread.
Both the Whale and the Oak tree take their microscopic food supply twenty four seven, 365 days a year, whereas humans and other animals tend to pig out on three squares a day; sometimes in large quantities. We move about more than the tree as Gumbud rightly states, so our food will be burnt fast, and will require replenishment frequently.

I must point out Realist; that this is not based on any sound scientific foundations, just my own theories......Other theories are available....Like you, I like the ponder the mysteries of this world.....
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2015, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Seeds get their energy from light, nutrients and water, without any of these the seed wouldn't survive.
There is a word for it but I can't remember it.
Could that word be 'photosynthesis' Wrinkly ?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2015, 11:58 AM

Building blocks of life innit. You make something out of something - it don't just appear out of thin air.

The Chemical Building Blocks of Life
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/AP_Bio...Blocks_of_Life
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2015, 12:19 PM

The tree must be eating the earth. (Soil). If not, where does the earth go as the tree grows. Also I believe that when people sit under the tree and eat their lunch, bits of human food gets dropped, and the tree eats it.
And another thing. Trees are canaballs. They drop their leaves and fruit and as the leaves and fruit rot into the earth, the trees eat them.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2015, 09:23 AM

bloody marvellous emjay - you've made photosynthesis easy 101 - so that's why the roots of great oaks start appearing above the ground - the tree is consuming the soil and exposing its own roots - hussy thing it is too!
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2015, 09:56 AM

And another thing.
I believe that it's to do with cells. Not the prison type.
To produce energy you need fuel. An engine needs fuel to create power.
So a tree needs fuel such as the sun for light and heat, and rain for moisture, to produce cells. As more cells are produced, the tree grows.
A simple explanation. But I could be wrong.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2015, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
So, some fun responses but we're not much further forward in terms of understanding.

Possibly I didn't really get my point across well enough.

Let me present the puzzle in a different form.

Suppose we got all the ladies here into a huge kitchen, and through the front door we kept delivering boxes of ingredients (flour, butter, meat, veg etc). I am confident that these ladies could pump out all manner of wonderful meat pies. For as long as I made ingredients available, they could make pies.

It's a simple process to understand. We supply a quantity of solid matter, and they transform that matter into something else.

You could think of this in many different ways. Provide an endless supply of bricks and you could build a huge house or tower. Provide tons of sand and it could be used to create lots of glass.

Now back to the tree. The "output" of the conversion process is a huge tree, made of lots of matter. But what is the material that feeds this process? How is all that matter made without tons of matter being fed into it?

As I said in the OP, there is not a huge hole in the ground so the tree isn't "eating" the earth beneath it. We are not converting soil into wood here. Something else has to be going on.

In the absence of any visible material going in, I have to conclude that the tree is creating MATTER from ENERGY. i.e. it is taking water and taking sunlight energy and somehow, quite miraculously, turning that into wood ! How on earth does it do that???!

There is, to my knowledge, only 1 animal that has a similar ability to create matter out of seemingly nothing. It is a type of crab, tho I don't remember which type.
This crab, like many crabs, periodically sheds it's shell and skin. It literally leaves an entire crab shaped shell behind with all its legs. It is then in a very vulnerable state for a while as it is completely soft at that point and predators could easily eat it.

But then the magic happens. It regrows another outer body. So a new shell, and all its limbs have hard shell again.
But the miracle is this. Scientists have put this crab in a water tank containing NOTHING but water. They have watched it shed its skin and regrow another and in that process the crab was given no food and it did not eat the discarded shell.

The conclusion again is that the crab has converted energy into matter. At some stage the human race will undoubtedly understand and harness this ability. When it does, everything will change because energy is abundant. It is all around us. We will want for nothing. Just like the Star Trek food replicators we will just manifest food to eat from freely available energy.
How the pies coming along.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2015, 12:14 PM

........or put it another way, the ground provides the water and chemicals dissolved in that water and the sunlight provides the energy, photosynthesis converts the chemicals into cellular matter and then you have a growing tree.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2015, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
........or put it another way, the ground provides the water and chemicals dissolved in that water and the sunlight provides the energy, photosynthesis converts the chemicals into cellular matter and then you have a growing tree.
well done Alan - here is your gold embossed certificate - you have successfully passed photosynthesis 101

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top