Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 10:31 AM

Clippies Clippings

It's sometimes a little difficult to put interesting things in sections as they don't always quite fit. This is one of those items

Jem & Co mentioned Clippies in their Leisure topics and it reminded me of their ticket machines which always held a fascination for me as a child and lets be honest who did not want to ring that ticket bell !

However did you know they counted those punched clippings.

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 11:04 AM

Re: Clippies Clippings

Ooo what a job !
Like you I loved that machine, fortunately it didn't entice me into being a clippie
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 02:28 PM

Never knew they had to count them, what a boring job. I knew plenty of Bus Conductors and drivers, we never had female conductors here, I used to sip in a pub next to the Bus Depot, I admire people who have to put up with a job dealing with the public, when they used to come in after work knackered I would try to cheer them up by saying "Well Done John, isn't it great to be able to conduct those who cannot conduct themselves" It's nice to make them feel they are appreciated.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 03:16 PM

My wife was a clippie during the 60's and 70's and she says those clippings from the punch were never counted. Maybe different machines were used up here in Scotland.

Looking at the picture again I see it is dated 1950 which was long before my wife's time on the buses.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 08:23 PM

Reminds me of the type of job carried out in supermarkets - where every single piece of fruit has a sticker on it. Eh, why?
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 08:31 PM

All I can say is stone the crows , What on earth ?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top