Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 08:49 PM

Re: Teeth

I don't like the teeth whitening though that they do cosmetically these days, I much prefer teeth that look natural even if a little yellow tinge, the look is just so false and I prefer the natural look. But so many go for the false look these days, especially the young ones.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 09:24 PM

I had my teeth whitened about ten years ago. The dentist's idea. Yes it makes you feel fabulous, but I only had one round because it didn't feel like it was doing the enamel much good. There has to be more to life than sitting there with dental trays of bleach for an hour at a time.

If you watch 1980s series people have normal natural teeth, imperfect but you can tell they were not man made. These days every celebrity has a mouthful of cosmetic dentistry. So ordinary people think they should go out and buy the same. It's a total con and can ruin the health of young people.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I don't like the teeth whitening though that they do cosmetically these days, I much prefer teeth that look natural even if a little yellow tinge, the look is just so false and I prefer the natural look. But so many go for the false look these days, especially the young ones.
You don't have to have dazzling white teeth just whiten them up dingy teeth are so aging !
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
You don't have to have dazzling white teeth just whiten them up dingy teeth are so aging !
I'm talking I don't like the false *ting* white look Muds
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I had my teeth whitened about ten years ago. The dentist's idea. Yes it makes you feel fabulous, but I only had one round because it didn't feel like it was doing the enamel much good. There has to be more to life than sitting there with dental trays of bleach for an hour at a time.

If you watch 1980s series people have normal natural teeth, imperfect but you can tell they were not man made. These days every celebrity has a mouthful of cosmetic dentistry. So ordinary people think they should go out and buy the same. It's a total con and can ruin the health of young people.
I don't think its a con at all .
Why shouldn't 'ordinary ' people have nice teeth?
Dentistry has come on enormously .
How does it ruin their health ?
On the contrary it can improve the look of a young persons teeth and thereby improve their confidence and sense of well being .
You don't have to sit around in bleach trays whitestrips are quicker , easier and cheaper.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

25-05-2018, 09:35 PM

On the contrary it can improve the look of a young persons teeth and thereby improve their confidence and sense of well being .
You don't have to sit around in bleach trays whitestrips are quicker , easier and cheaper.
too many young ones these days are not comfortable in their own skin opting to look more false than natural which is such a shame. One of my close friends daughter is so beautiful and stunning yet she came home with injected lips the other day much to her mothers horror. OOps sorry gone off topic, but it just came into my mind when you mentioned the youngsters

Over to the next person on teeth, do you like mine
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 09:44 PM

Why shouldn't 'ordinary ' people have nice teeth?
Dentistry has come on enormously .
How does it ruin their health ?
It's a total con because natural teeth are nice without chemical enhancement. We should accept that natural teeth aren't perfect, they do the job and they are healthy. You start tampering with nature and you end up with long term dental health problems. Bleach is so unnecessary. Hygiene is what's important. As for veneers it requires removal of healthy tooth structure. It's irreversible and you have to replace them every decade. It's a total con that has funded the massive dental image makeover industry and caused no end of pointless dental work for people who didn't need it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

25-05-2018, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->

Over to the next person on teeth, do you like mine
You have a lovely smile LQ. It's all about being comfortable in your own skin.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

25-05-2018, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
You have a lovely smile LQ. It's all about being comfortable in your own skin.
thank you. I agree with you, a lot of young ones of today are not comfortable in their own skin and aspire to look like 'everyone else' which tells me their confidence in themselves is very low. Obviously not all and there are a lot of natural beauties still around.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
I agree Muddy, bad teeth are very aging.

My problem is the yellowing. I brush my teeth all the time, I go for a cleaning every 6 months, yet my teeth still look yellow. Some say it is my red hair.

I have a partial in the top and one in the bottom as well. I don't get many fillings.

Sorry this is so long folks, but it quite informative about why our teeth can yellow:

So why are my teeth yellow?

Let’s look at the things that may be responsible for your teeth going yellow.

Stained teeth from smoking

Smokers are prone to yellower teeth.
Smoking makes your teeth yellow because of the tar, nicotine and other chemicals carried in the smoke. These seep into the pores in your tooth enamel, staining its natural colour.

A study conducted in 2005 found that 28% of smokers had moderate to severe levels of tooth discolouration, compared to 15% of non-smokers. The study also revealed that smokers were generally less satisfied with the state of their teeth.

E-cigarettes may not discolour teeth to the same degree, but they still contain nicotine which becomes yellow when it mixes with oxygen.

There are other oral health problems associated with smoking, too. For example, nicotine causes gums to recede and can lead to gingivitis and periodontitis.
Slack oral hygiene

If you notice a yellow buildup on your teeth, it’s probably plaque or tartar. Plaque forms when bacteria from food and drink particles aren’t cleaned properly from your teeth. Over time, plaque hardens to form tartar, which can only be removed by a dentist or hygienist.

This yellow coating can form on or around your teeth if you don’t brush often enough or thoroughly enough. Not only does it look bad, it contributes to bad breath and a whole load of other oral health complications.
Your diet

It shouldn’t come as a big surprise that the things you put into your mouth have an effect on the colour of your teeth. If your teeth are stained yellow, it might be because of foods such as these:

Coffee and tea
Red wine
Curries
Tomato sauces
Berries
Soy sauce
Balsamic vinegar
Beetroot

There are other foods and drinks which, although they don’t cause staining themselves, contain acids that eat away at your tooth enamel. This reduces the ‘whiteness’ of your teeth and also leaves them more susceptible to staining. Watch out for:
bad for teeth

It may seem like a healthy option but beware the acidity of fruit juice

Fizzy drinks (heavily coloured ones can also cause stains)
Citrus fruits and juices
Sports drinks
Sugary foods
Artificial sweetners
White wine and many other alcoholic drinks

Rinsing your mouth with water after consuming these products will help minimise the damage from any acid.

Ageing

As if getting older wasn’t bad enough, it’s natural for your teeth to become yellow as you age. This is because the protective enamel layer becomes thinner, revealing more of the yellow dentin underneath.
Genetics

If you have had yellowish teeth all your life, your parents may be to blame. Genetic variances can affect tooth colour and enamel porosity – and more porous enamel is more liable to stain.

Medication or illness

Some antibiotics such as tetracycline and amoxicillin can affect the colour of teeth, especially in younger children. Drugs prescribed to adults for allergies and high blood pressure may also have this side effect. Speak to your doctor if you’re concerned about this.

Certain illnesses, particularly those that affect the liver, can result in discoloured teeth. Patients who undergo chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer may also find their teeth turning a brownish hue.

Teeth whitening treatment is not usually covered by the NHS, but exceptions may be made in cases where there is a medical reason for the discolouration.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top