Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 12:06 AM

Re: Do you have a favourite soap?

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
No - not the junk on TV - proper soap !

I like Imperial Leather - use it a lot - even have the blue version in the lavatory to go with the colour scheme in there.
I also like Pears and Cuticura.
I looked for good natural soaps that didn't contain harmful nasty ingredients to make washing powder. I was somewhat stunned to find that most well known brands, including those you mention are all bad, even Dove !

It's actually very hard to find a soap with only good natural ingredients but you can find them here:

https://www.faithinnature.co.uk/depa...type=Soap+bars

The problem with all mainstream soap bars are the range of bad ingredients which will damage your health. The top 7 of those are:

1. Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate (SLS/SLES)
2. Dioxane
3. Parabens
4. Propylene glycol
5. Diethanolamine or DEA
6. Toluene
7. Triclosan

I would also avoid Talc, it is very unhealthy and Tetrasodium EDTA is a chelating agent that is made from formaldehyde and sodium cyanide.

Here are the ingredients in your favourite soaps. I'll highlight the baddies in bold.

Imperial Leather

Ingredients

Sodium Palmate, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Talc, Glycerin, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Etidronic Acid, Coumarin, Eugenol, Linalool, Benzyl Benzoate, Geraniol, Citronellol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, CI 77891, CI 77220, CI 11680, CI 71105, CI 74260, CI 12490

Pears Transparent Soap

Ingredients

Aqua (Water), Sorbitol, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Rosinate, Glycerin, Sodium Palmate, Sodium Stearate, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, PEG-4, Sodium Laurate, Alcohol, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Metabisulfite, Sodium Sulfate, Parfum (Perfume), Tetrasodium Etidronate, Lauryl Alcohol, Tetrasodium EDTA, BHT, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamal, Eugenol, Limonene, Linalool, Linalyl Acetate, CI 12490, CI 47005

Dove White Beauty Bar

Ingredients

Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Palmitate, Lauric Acid, Aqua, Sodium Isethionate, Sodium Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum, Sodium chloride, Zinc Oxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Alumina, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl alcohol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Coumarin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, CI 77891

and so it goes on.

Interesting isn't it how powerful media advertising makes people think these soaps are all nice great luxury or "kind" products. They are very far from it imho.

The Faith In Nature products are all natural ingredients.

As I said. I make my own washing powder these days because the mainstream powder manufacturers changed their formulas to badly alkalinic ones which irritate and burn your skin.

A £1 bag of soap crystals plus 4 bars of grated Faith In Nature soap bars (2 rosemary, 2 lavender) make for a good batch of washing powder that is cheap, natural and not harmful.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 12:31 AM

Oh dear and I do like Pears blue soap .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 01:41 AM

I use Simple shower gel, Dove shampoo and Carex handwash. I haven't used a bar of soap in years.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 04:30 AM

I have used Caress Daily Silk soap for years. Love how it makes my skin feel. Have used both the bar soap years ago, and now the body wash, too.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Tea Tree soap.

I love the smell of Tea tree, Nom.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

The Faith In Nature products are all natural ingredients.

As I said. I make my own washing powder these days because the mainstream powder manufacturers changed their formulas to badly alkalinic ones which irritate and burn your skin.

A £1 bag of soap crystals plus 4 bars of grated Faith In Nature soap bars (2 rosemary, 2 lavender) make for a good batch of washing powder that is cheap, natural and not harmful.
Will try that, Realist, thank you!
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 06:42 AM

Any soap from Lush are favourites of mine. I love a strong scent.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 07:12 AM

Hard to go past Coles Pure Soap at $1.60 (80p) for six tablets (I'm using one). Made in Australia too.

Handy size for making Laundry Gel too

20 litre recipe
What you need:
• 100 grams pure soap = 1 cake purest soap
• 1 cup washing soda
• 1 cup white vinegar
• 3 teaspoons eucalypt or tea tree oil
• A few drops of lemon or lavender essential oil for perfume
• 10 litres of cold water
• 9 litres of hot water.
What to do:
1. Grate the soap or slice strips off with a vegie peeler and place into a large saucepan and cover with 2 litres of cold water.
2. Bring to boil & add washing soda crystals, and stir until melted.
3. Stir in eucalyptus oil, vinegar and essential oil.
4. Pour into a bucket and add 9 litres of hot water and then stir in 8 litres of cold water.
5. Leave to cool and when cool transfer to smaller containers and label.
Good when used for:
• Laundry detergent for front and top loading machines and hand washing. 2-3 cups depending on load size
• Pre-soaker for heavily soiled items
• Washing-up liquid 10-20 ml/10 litres of water.
Store it in 1 and 2 litre plastic fruit juice containers.

Stay clean and green - How easy is that?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6294.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	6732  
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 07:25 AM

The Dettol dispenser one,..and liquid soap for the bath,I haven't used a bar of soap in ages.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 07:59 AM

Imperial Leather ... my favourite for 60 years.

But what's happened to it? First you notice there's now a white version, so you buy that by mistake and end up truly disappointed. But, back to the yellow one ... the original? I think not. Things start to go wrong when the label disintegrates on first use. The label used to stay till the end, now it doesn't simply fall off, that would be bad enough, a transparent layer comes off, the black paint crumbles, leaving speck all over the bar, a right mess. It's more than a label problem ... the bar is not what it was, doesn't behave the same, doesn't last as long.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top