Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 10:15 AM

Aeroplane BAGGAGE

I'm flying to Belgium next month on Ryanair. I will be purchasing 2 or 3 hand tools, nothing electric. Just pliers and wire cutters for bonsai. I'll be taking a small and simple carry-on bag for toiletries, change of underwear, etc. that's all. Now I suppose if I were to check in a suitcase I could pack away the hand tools inside it, but I won't be taking anything like that. So I just rang Ryanair and the Russian (I suspect) woman told me that I wouldn't be allowed to take them at all. She must have misunderstood me. Can it be that a pair of pliers are forbidden to transport on the plane – one way or another?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 10:40 AM

Re: Aeroplane BAGGAGE

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
I'm flying to Belgium next month on Ryanair. I will be purchasing 2 or 3 hand tools, nothing electric. Just pliers and wire cutters for bonsai. I'll be taking a small and simple carry-on bag for toiletries, change of underwear, etc. that's all. Now I suppose if I were to check in a suitcase I could pack away the hand tools inside it, but I won't be taking anything like that. So I just rang Ryanair and the Russian (I suspect) woman told me that I wouldn't be allowed to take them at all. She must have misunderstood me. Can it be that a pair of pliers are forbidden to transport on the plane – one way or another?
I don't think you will either, they are metal and all could be used as weapons. Think plastic spoon and fork.

Post them to yourself from Belgium if you don't want to take check in luggage.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 10:56 AM

I don't think you can even take on nail scissors in the cabin, and pliers could still do some damage to someone, if used as a weapon! Think about pressure being applied to part of someone's person...could even take a finger off I could imagine.

So I'd say they were within their rights to say it's prohibited.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 11:07 AM

The last twice we flew abroad we were stopped at security just because of Sheila's make-up mirror which is quite a solid, metallic object. They let us pass through once they'd checked it out but it shows how thorough they are nowadays.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 11:15 AM

No pliers or anything like that. I had a pair of scissors taken off me
as I forgot to put them in my big suitcase that went in the hold.
I was once stopped at a German airport and they opened up all
my nail polish. Unfortunately when they put it back they left the
lids off without turning them and I had to recover some things
and clothes from nail polish, lovely.

If you cant take a bottle of water through that is not bought at
the airport you aint taking any pliers

Bruce 's idea is good just get them posted.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 11:56 AM

Taking hand tools into the cabin is forbidden. That is certain. I suppose the only thing to do is post it to myself, as was suggested, or check it in. There are 2 problems with checking it in. First, I don't know if you are allowed to check in such a small package. It'll fit into one hand I'm sure. Second, the way she sounded on the telephone as though there is NO WAY to take hand tools. Did she mean even checking it in is forbidden??? That can't be right – can it?
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden

30-12-2015, 12:06 PM

I was in transit at Heathrow once (about 20 years ago now) and I had to go through everything all over again because the terminal I'd arrived at (from Sweden) was not the same as my departure terminal (to the U.S.) Anyway, the only way I was allowed to take my nail clipper was him breaking off that little blunt-ended file. Well, that foiled my plan to hijack the plane to Tierra del Fuego!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 12:10 PM

I should think that the best thing would be to forget about Belgium and just buy them online...simples !
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden

30-12-2015, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I should think that the best thing would be to forget about Belgium and just buy them online...simples !
Lot of sense in that. Problem is that you can't be sure of the quality unless your hands on it, and it's expensive to post. These are special tools for bonsai, not readily available and not very many who post their products abroad. The reason I'm going is the "bonsai do" in Genk. Everyone ..... and everything will be there.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 12:33 PM

If you take them they will be confiscated .
It as simple as that .
Airlines used to have a security packet for small potentially dangerous items to go through ( ie children's toy guns) but times have changed and Ryanair will charge you for talking a deep breathe.
Buy them when you are there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top