Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 11:36 PM

Re: Choosing a Slow Cooker

Thanks again Missy. I will look at some when I go shopping next.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 11:59 AM

Thanks for your comments, and the links

I've never had much success soaking & cooking dried beans so I usually use canned chick peas, kidney beans etc., they're cheap enough. But I do use soup mix - dried peas, small lentils, barley etc and I can manage to do that, by soaking overnight and giving it a quick boil up the next day

I end up doing batches of stew, curries etc.anyway as it's difficult to make those just for one; they tend to grow & grow!
In fact I got a bit carried away with my shopping a few days ago and I've put a load of single servings of stew into the freezer, ready for winter
In fact that's what prompted me to ask about slow cookers. I know of them, of course, but a couple of friends have suggested I get one

I've had a brief glance at Argos's website There are loads and they're not as expensive as I imagined. Over the next few days I'll have a more careful look
So far I think that I don't want a browning feature, but I do want 2 heat settings and a removable pan/bowl/inner, and about 5 litres
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Thanks for your comments, and the links

I've never had much success soaking & cooking dried beans so I usually use canned chick peas, kidney beans etc., they're cheap enough. But I do use soup mix - dried peas, small lentils, barley etc and I can manage to do that, by soaking overnight and giving it a quick boil up the next day

I end up doing batches of stew, curries etc.anyway as it's difficult to make those just for one; they tend to grow & grow!
In fact I got a bit carried away with my shopping a few days ago and I've put a load of single servings of stew into the freezer, ready for winter
In fact that's what prompted me to ask about slow cookers. I know of them, of course, but a couple of friends have suggested I get one

I've had a brief glance at Argos's website There are loads and they're not as expensive as I imagined. Over the next few days I'll have a more careful look
So far I think that I don't want a browning feature, but I do want 2 heat settings and a removable pan/bowl/inner, and about 5 litres

And don't forget to get an oval shaped one, not a round one, if you want to cook a whole chicken.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 02:30 PM

I got my slow cooker in payment for some small work I did in a shop, they had gone bust and couldn't afford to pay me so I chose a Morphy Richards model. Still going strong after fifteen years or so, great for cooking brisket and braising steak but still use an on-stove cast iron casserole dish for smaller items and a pressure cooker if I need something a bit quicker.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 11:00 PM

Just stick a chicken in the slow cooker and turn the cooker onto high. Do not add water.

The water injected into the chicken to increase the weight will leach out and the chicken will brown in much the same way as in the oven.

Take the chicken out and serve with all the trimmings for a roast. I always leave the stock in the slow cooker and add the scraps of meat from the chicken carcass and then make a sweet curry.

So for one chicken I can get one roast meal, one chicken salad, one chicken casserole and two chicken curries for two people.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
Just stick a chicken in the slow cooker and turn the cooker onto high. Do not add water.

The water injected into the chicken to increase the weight will leach out and the chicken will brown in much the same way as in the oven.

Take the chicken out and serve with all the trimmings for a roast. I always leave the stock in the slow cooker and add the scraps of meat from the chicken carcass and then make a sweet curry.

So for one chicken I can get one roast meal, one chicken salad, one chicken casserole and two chicken curries for two people.
Don't forget to keep the carcass and bones. I store mine in the freezer and when I have enough, use them to make chicken stock which can be used in soups or gravy.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 12:38 PM

The problem with this sort of thing is that you can go on and on and round and round for ages, but eventually you have to settle on something.
I've just bought a Goodmans 3,5l from B&M for £17 - 99

This is a bit smaller than i had originally considered but it seems to be a common size, and I thought that with anything bigger I would be putting too much into the freezer

So I've just got a small - to - medium, cheap, simple one, and I'll see how I go on with that
In the next day or two I'll try a beef stew bourgignon thing

Thanks again for your advice and comments
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 03:59 PM

And I have no doubt that will last you the next 20 years.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 07:05 PM

Beef casserole finished today. Already eaten one portion, and decanted two portions into the foil trays.

Love the liners!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0062.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	4348  
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 07:34 PM

Much less electricity needed and you don't have a hot kitchen as it all stays in the pot.
Have you got a friend who would let you borrow one to try?.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top