Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 03:27 PM

Scottish Banknotes

Old chestnut I know but it’s happened again and it really pisses me off. Tried to pay with a Scots fiver in deepest Yorkshire, one of my favourite places ever, and got the knock back. According to the Association of Commercial Banknote Issuers, banknotes issued by authorised banks in Scot and NI are legal currency and can be accepted throughout the U.K. ( part 6 of currency act 2009) with all the same level of protection as Bank of England notes. As a matter of interest, no banknotes are legal TENDER in Scotland and NI including English ones. My bank here has a cash machine which issues only English notes in order to prevent any hassle, I usually do but my question is why should I have to? Maybe we should refuse English notes up here and see what happens. Anyway, rant over, over to you.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 03:34 PM

Re: Scottish Banknotes

Bank of Scotland notes I've seen before ... but I got landed with a Scottish Bank of Clydesdale note not too long back.
Was a bit of a mystery to me and I thought it was funny money until I googled it.

I took it to the bank to change it rather than have any bother. No idea if it is legal tender in the UK though it was rather a nice note.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 03:37 PM

It seems to depend on the retailer. I had a couple of Scottish notes left over and used them here in SW with no problem. I agree though, there shouldn't be a problem using them anywhere.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 03:45 PM

In my home island there are still £1 notes, which of course aren't acceptable in the UK. I always put mine in a charity box before leaving the island to fly back to the UK.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 03:46 PM

We have the same problem with NI notes when we go to England

Its so annoying when you are telling a shop assistant that its sterling and acceptable tender in England and they have to call a supervisor over and then the supervisor doesn't know either and then you have to wait on the manager

They too would cop the hump it we refused English notes here
Thank heavens for debit cards
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 03:58 PM

Clydesdale Bank is an authorised issuer so the note is legal currency as I say above. The question of legal tender is complicated. In your case the problem may be familiarity, which is understandable since the Clydesdale is a smaller bank. Agree, nice notes tho.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland

16-08-2018, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It seems to depend on the retailer. I had a couple of Scottish notes left over and used them here in SW with no problem. I agree though, there shouldn't be a problem using them anywhere.
Perhaps you’ve put your finger on it, I believe retailers have the right to refuse but they have no reason to in this case.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Old chestnut I know but it’s happened again and it really pisses me off. Tried to pay with a Scots fiver in deepest Yorkshire, one of my favourite places ever, and got the knock back. According to the Association of Commercial Banknote Issuers, banknotes issued by authorised banks in Scot and NI are legal currency and can be accepted throughout the U.K. ( part 6 of currency act 2009) with all the same level
Yup BUT it's entirely a decision between the 2 separate parties of a transaction what banknotes they choose to accept.

That means both YOU and any retailer have the freedom to refuse any kind of banknote.

Doesn't matter whether it is UK banknotes or Scottish banknotes.

If you walk into a local UK corner shop and buy 1 single apple and try to hand over a £50 note the retailer can happily refuse to accept it.

Similarly if I walk into a Costa coffee shop in the UK hand over a UK £10 note to pay £3 for a coffee, and the barista hands me a Scottish £5 note as part of my change, I am within my rights to refuse it and to ask for a UK £5 note.

This isn't about "legal tender" which has a different meaning to what most think. It's about buying and selling transactions between parties.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 05:57 PM

Whenever I visit Family down South I always make sure to get English notes from My Bank here..it saves a red mist coming over My eyes when Scottish ones are refused down there
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Whenever I visit Family down South I always make sure to get English notes from My Bank here..it saves a red mist coming over My eyes when Scottish ones are refused down there

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top