Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 02:46 PM

Re: Driverless Cars

Originally Posted by TessA ->
My car is driverless already!
Isn't it?
If it's currently parked up then yes it's probably driverless.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
My car is driverless already!
Isn't it?
You could always duck down and pretend to other road users that your car is driverless.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You could always duck down and pretend to other road users that your car is driverless.
I wouldn't see where I was going, twit!

My neighbour where I used to live was so short it looked like nobody was driving her car, she could barely see out of the window!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 01:56 PM

Can't see why people struggle with the concept of a driverless car. I mean when they get on a train what are they doing? Sitting in a vehicle that they are not driving!

Same for a bus
Same for a tram
Same for a taxi

What difference does it make then if it is a car that you own which is driven by a centralised national highways "system" rather than a person?

The benefits could be huge as others have highlighted.

Disabled people, blind people, otherwise disadvantaged people who can not legally drive, can suddenly have the same freedom as everyone else instead of having to rely on and be a burden on others. They can go to the shops whenever THEY want to without putting anyone else out.

Those who like to drink and/or who have records of drink driving and maybe have lost their licenses, as Bruce rightly points out, can own their own vehicle and have it take them and pick them up again at the end of the night.

More importantly, a centrally controlled national driverless vehicle network would be able to better manage all the traffic in the country. It could regulate speeds and route vehicles in the best possible and most efficient way. At present we all just choose the routes we know and think are best but when we are driving we have no idea what is happening all around us and further along our journey. As traffic develops ahead the system could seamlessly re-route us to avoid it or re-route us to alleviate congestion elsewhere.
If the algorithms are constructed well it could have massive positive impact on national congestion.

Another benefit would be for emergencies. The system, knowing that say an ambulance or fire engine 5 miles away was on a route that needs to get past you, could simply route all vehicles into specific lanes leaving a lane totally free for emergency services. The response time improvements for emergency vehicles would be massive.

Then think about the impact to our personal insurance situation. Currently we all pay an arm and a leg for insurance each year and much depends on our past record and personal attributes. With a driverless system that goes away. Insurance becomes a constant with no dependency on a driver. It is the actual national highway system that would need the insurance not us as individuals. We would of course have to pay into that (they will always get their pound of flesh) but it would be massively cheaper and it would be constant. We wouldn't ever get penalised unless we specifically did something reckless to affect the driverless system.

There are a lot of wins to the concept but it will take many many years to get there.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 09:26 PM

Driverless cars are fair enough, but how is the government going to make up for the huge loss of revenue on Road Tax, Fuel, MOT's Parking fees, Speeding fines, Licences and a load of other costs to the motorist that I've forgotten.......
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Driverless cars are fair enough, but how is the government going to make up for the huge loss of revenue on Road Tax, Fuel, MOT's Parking fees, Speeding fines, Licences and a load of other costs to the motorist that I've forgotten.......

Good point Foxy.
Daresay they will think of something though.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Road Tax, Fuel, MOT's relate to the vehicle, not the driver.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 09:54 PM

Driverless cars are still some way off, atm driverless cars require the driver to still be in control, that means the driver has to be ready to assume control should the need arise, so when they do eventually start appearing on the roads , the driver will still have to have insurance, a driving license ect, in the future,who knows , maybe you can rent a car short term via an app, so you can book the use of a car that will come to you and you can use as required, still a very long way off but it’s the future..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Driverless cars are still some way off, atm driverless cars require the driver to still be in control, that means the driver has to be ready to assume control should the need arise, so when they do eventually start appearing on the roads , the driver will still have to have insurance, a driving license ect, in the future,who knows , maybe you can rent a car short term via an app, so you can book the use of a car that will come to you and you can use as required, still a very long way off but it’s the future..

That's what I imagined, Primus.

But I wonder what would happen with driverless, if something like a kiddie chasing his ball suddenly ran across the road in front of their front bumper?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2018, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's what I imagined, Primus.

But I wonder what would happen with driverless, if something like a kiddie chasing his ball suddenly ran across the road in front of their front bumper?
I would imagine that it would do exactly the same as a car with a driver - apply the brakes. The only difference is that the driverless car's reaction time would be quicker than one with a driver.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top