Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 08:36 AM

Re: Do you think about Old Age?

Originally Posted by carol ->
I think about old age & feel dread. Mostly it's the thought of not being able to look after myself - relying on other people for personal care.

My kids will take over my affairs. I don't want it to happen but it will.

Already they annoy me. Recently I paid £400 to have a short fence erected. Their attitude was 'save your £400 you don't need a fence' Do I need them to tell me what to do with my money? Do they think I'm docile already?

Most annoying coming from one who thinks nothing of spending £15,000 on a new kitchen and God knows how much on a brand new range rover!!

Old age -It's not much to look forward to. I don't want to be a burden on anybody or treated like a child.

To be honest - I try not to think about it!!
I can empathise with this as I too would hate to be dominated by anyone..........but my children could not possibly look after me in the way I would prefer - they just have a completely difference view of the world and as CArol says, it would be top quality ££££ for them and cheapest possible for me!

As for downsizing to a manageable property......there's hardly a decent financial margin to make such a move viable. As for the cohousing projects - the successful groups are hugely over subscribed and the others are too many years in the future to be worth bothering about!

I think there is a case for publicly recommended advocacy to whom specified control could be given.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 08:51 AM

Frank Sinatra – Young At Heart Lyrics

Fairy tales can come true, it can happen to you
If you're young at heart.
For it's hard, you will find, to be narrow of mind

You can go to extremes with impossible schemes.
You can laugh when your dreams fall apart at the seams.
And life gets more exciting with each passing day.
And love is either in your heart, or on it's way.

Don't you know that it's worth every treasure on earth
To be young at heart.
For as rich as you are, it's much better by far
To be young at heart.

And if you should survive to 105,
Look at all you'll derive out of being alive!
And here is the best part, you have a head start
If you are among the very young at heart.

My Philosophy
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 08:56 AM

There is nothing nice about old age is there....I don't even feel wiser...still as daft as ever.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 10:10 AM

WB you come across as a vibrant youngster in your posts , I'm surprised , I always think you full of life
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 10:20 AM

Now I've a moment to think about the future , firstly I can never believe that it's going to happen to me but as I'm not believing it , it is .

I know this may upset some and I don't mean to , but I do wish there was a pill that I could take when it just all gets too much , and yes I would know when it does .

No way would I move in with my kids and be bossed around .

I must say that it's horrid at times alone , though I'm used to alone , as I get older I enjoy friends coming to stay and feel a little sadder when they leave , never thought I'd say that .

It's already here , and it's scarey
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by May ->
Frank Sinatra – Young At Heart Lyrics

Fairy tales can come true, it can happen to you
For it's hard, you will find, to be narrow of mind

You can go to extremes with impossible schemes.
You can laugh when your dreams fall apart at the seams.
And life gets more exciting with each passing day.
And love is either in your heart, or on it's way.

Don't you know that it's worth every treasure on earth
To be young at heart.
For as rich as you are, it's much better by far
To be young at heart.

And if you should survive to 105,
Look at all you'll derive out of being alive!
And here is the best part, you have a head start
If you are among the very young at heart.

My Philosophy
May that's fantastic!
Love your attitude
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 10:55 AM

May....what a great song to make you stop and look at yourself and realize that you can be "young at heart" . So true, thanks for posting this May.
I have played it twice so far, and I know I have heard it many times over my life (cause I love Frank Sinatra)...but I haven't thought of it much for quite some time..
Thanks for the memories, and encouragement this song brings to the table for me right now..

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am fortunate enough to still be very healthy - mentally and physically.

As for 'old age' - it is better than the alternative!
Absolutely! I want to remain on this side of the grass for as long as possible. Isn't it every parent's dream to live long enough to be a burden on the kids? Payback time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I think about old age & feel dread. Mostly it's the thought of not being able to look after myself - relying on other people for personal care.

My kids will take over my affairs. I don't want it to happen but it will.

Already they annoy me. Recently I paid £400 to have a short fence erected. Their attitude was 'save your £400 you don't need a fence' Do I need them to tell me what to do with my money? Do they think I'm docile already?

Most annoying coming from one who thinks nothing of spending £15,000 on a new kitchen and God knows how much on a brand new range rover!!

Old age -It's not much to look forward to. I don't want to be a burden on anybody or treated like a child.

To be honest - I try not to think about it!
!

I can understand all that Carol, and feel much the same as you.

I suppose there will come a time when we will have to think about it, but it's a scary thought and I'm not going to let myself get depressed about it just yet.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2018, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Yes I think about old age Blue,its a far away place I dont imagine for one second I shall get to see.
Im only 54 but with previous cancer and other health problems Im on a slippery slope downwards im afraid.
You are so young Aysa, I didn't realize before that you were only 54....... I knew how sick you are and my heart aches for you.....it is a tough road fighting cancer even when I was 65 and older, I have been very sick and disabled with it at times....

Aysa, I feel your pain my dear friend....

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top