Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 09:20 PM

Free Database programme

Can anyone recommend a free database programme for a windows computer? Must be easy to use and understand!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 11:53 PM

Re: Free Database programme

Libre Office Suite (Free) has a database program called Base as part of the suite. What are you wanting to do with it? A simple database can be constructed with a spreadsheet.

Base:

Spreadsheet method: This one is using Google's spreadsheet but any free spreadsheet program should do.

https://www.blockspring.com/blog/goo...et-as-database
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Libre Office Suite (Free) has a database program called Base as part of the suite. What are you wanting to do with it? A simple database can be constructed with a spreadsheet.

Base:

Spreadsheet method: This one is using Google's spreadsheet but any free spreadsheet program should do.

https://www.blockspring.com/blog/goo...et-as-database
Thanks Judd.............I've volunteered to do some investigative work..........checking on companies; directors; associated interests; activities etc etc. Simple spying really!!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 12:54 AM

Libre Office would be my recommendation too for a freebie. If it has a problem it is that it doesn't use VBA, and I am not entirely sure that any database is easy to use when it comes to analysis.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 02:04 PM

If you have MS Office Pro then you will have MS Access which is a staple database management and application development platform. I've used it for 30 years. It was my primary working tool in my IT career.

Databases using Spreadsheets are awful, hard to maintain and fraught with problems. Unfortunately many businesses have employees who can do "a bit of Excel" but are clueless about databases and the associated methodologies and as a result they try and create business solutions using Excel instead of a proper database management system. It's a massive problem, leads to massive issues and lots of additional costs down the line.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

03-12-2018, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
If you have MS Office Pro then you will have MS Access which is a staple database management and application development platform. I've used it for 30 years. It was my primary working tool in my IT career.

Databases using Spreadsheets are awful, hard to maintain and fraught with problems. Unfortunately many businesses have employees who can do "a bit of Excel" but are clueless about databases and the associated methodologies and as a result they try and create business solutions using Excel instead of a proper database management system. It's a massive problem, leads to massive issues and lots of additional costs down the line.
I've just found MS Office 2016 with Access which is downloadable for £30, so I'm very tempted to get that. But I want to wait till I get my W 10 computer repaired and see if it may be better to download on that. Thanks for that advice.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2018, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I've just found MS Office 2016 with Access which is downloadable for £30, so I'm very tempted to get that.
It's worth highlighting that any database package is ultimately going to require that you learn a bit about databases and how they work. It would be worth going on a course if you want to seriously set up some robust databases esp if they will be interlinked.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2018, 01:16 PM

I've been using Access for many years now and it can be a bit of a pain to use until you get used to its `quirks`. See if there's any YouTube tutorials you can watch to help you set up your database.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top