Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 12:24 AM

Freeview Box

I need to buy a new Freeview Record Box, one that records 2 channels at the same time. It needs to be a make that can handle heavy use, we like to record most things and watch later. The one that needs to be replaced is a Bush make, and quite frankly I think it's rubbish, can anybody recommend one to get? One that will last for a good long while.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 12:33 AM

Re: Freeview Box

I have a YouView box by Humax which has been very good. It also has Apps built in such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and BBC iPlayer. It records two channels simultaneously while allowing me to watch a third. Have a look on Amazon website for info and reviews.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 12:38 AM

I used to have freeveiw before I somehow got talked into BT .
I simple yet don't know how TVs work anymore
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 09:54 AM

We have had a Humax for many years. Still works but a wee bit temperamental. We have bought a refurbished Humax DTR-T2000. Looks and works like new.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I have a YouView box by Humax which has been very good. It also has Apps built in such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and BBC iPlayer. It records two channels simultaneously while allowing me to watch a third. Have a look on Amazon website for info and reviews.
Ditto...
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 10:28 AM

I have a Humax DTR-T1000, which has provided lengthy and unbroken service. The newer model is a Humax DTR-T2000.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 10:35 AM

Humax are pretty good, we have a free sat in the living room and we've put a free view in the caravan. Both seem easy to use and work really well. Record two stations at once and have quite a bit memory, rarely find we have used more than 30 percent of the memory even if we've been away for a week.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I need to buy a new Freeview Record Box, one that records 2 channels at the same time. It needs to be a make that can handle heavy use, we like to record most things and watch later.
I would encourage you to do some good research rather than jump in for one of the more well known brands. A lot of mainstream kit is actually very low powered and incapable of recording all the programmes you want.

Let me give you an idea.

I bought a MIRACLEBOX which comes with 3 TUNERS and a 1TB Hard Disk, a powerful CPU and which is Full HD.

The 3 tuners are really important. That's where the ability comes in.

Each tuner allows a box to see the group of channels in what is called a Multiplex. For example, all the BBC channels are broadcast in one multiplex, ITV channels in another and so on.

The mainstream boxes and Sky boxes only have 2 tuners and typically (because they are underpowered boxes in terms of CPU power) they can only record one channel with each tuner at a time, so, that means they can record 2 programmes whilst you potentially watch a 3rd (but only if that channel is in the same multiplex group as the programmes being recorded).

2 programmes in this day an age is pitiful. Really pitiful.

EACH INDIVIDUAL TUNER in my Miraclebox can record up to 4 programmes at the same time within the multiplex group it is looking at. So for example TUNER 1 could be pointing to the BBC multiplex and so could record 4 programmes on say BBC1, BBC2, BBC3 and BBC4 at the same time.

Whilst it is doing that, TUNER 2 could be pointing to the ITV multiplex group and could record 4 programmes in that group such as ITV1, ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4

And then TUNER 3 could do likewise with yet another multiplex group so that's 4 more recordings.

So, this means in summary that my box can record up to 12 separate programmes at the same time but this is limited to channels spread across 3 separate multiplex groups.

That is really powerful and means I NEVER EVER miss any programme that I want to record.

People with regular underpowered 2 Tuner boxes will frequently miss episodes of series they like to watch. That's because your favourite programmes are often on at the same time. If you like crime series then CSI and NCIS and Law and Order might all be on at the same time. Your box is only going to be able to record 2 of them, and that's without all the other programmes that might also be on at that time, maybe quiz programmes or Downton Abbey or whatever.

I got my Miraclebox from "World Of Satellite" and it cost about £300 with the 1TB hard disk option.

The 3 Tuners were totally configurable. You cold choose between Freeview Tuners, Freesat Tuners, Satellite Tuners or Cable TV Tuners or any mix of the above.

As I live in a Freeview area I chose to have all 3 tuners as Freeview tuners.

You pick and choose as you need.

So, defo do some good research to find the best and most current box with at least 3 tuners in it.

Here's a link to a seller of the Miraclebox Premium:

https://www.satshop.co.uk/miraclebox...um-twin/p/1576
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 11:08 AM

Looks like you pay for all that realist, our humax was under £100 less than a third of the price of yours. Get what you pay for I guess and for many of us the cheaper option is only one we can afford.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
This means in summary that my box can record up to 12 separate programmes at the same time but this is limited to channels spread across 3 separate multiplex groups.
I wouldn't be able to find 12 separate programmes that I want to watch at the same time EVER .....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top