Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 03:51 PM

Re: Vaccines

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is Realist, not Realspeed.

I do so agree with you however.
Yes you are right. Thank you
Realist not Realspeed!
The message is STILL the same though.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Que? The article demonstrates how successful the polio vaccine has been (which is stated many times in the article). The fact that they are phasing out the old vaccine points to funding rather than efficacy.

I don't understand how this detracts from the fact that as UJ says we no longer have to grow up with the threat of polio in this country. I recently watched the film "breathe" and it was a terribly cruel illness for those who survived. How can anyone say that vaccines are useless (as per the antivax blog site's diagram) when you look at polio?
Yes I agree re polio...I was dismayed to see that it hasn't been eliminated as I'd thought, which is why I posted the link.

I believe smallpox now only exists in laboratories. Fantastic.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 10:32 PM

I think they were close to eliminating polio but there is superstition in some Asian countries that it is being used to deliberately spread polio. Such incidents don't help.

The vaccine that is a bad one is chicken pox. We don't use that in this country because it can trigger early onset of shingles attacks in adulthood. It is thought better to contract the virus as a child as this gives people better immunity against shingles later in life. Despite strong evidence they do still administer it routinely in the US.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 10:46 PM

I think they were close to eliminating polio but there is superstition in some Asian countries that it is being used to deliberately spread polio. Such incidents don't help.

The vaccine that is a bad one is chicken pox. We don't use that in this country because it can trigger early onset of shingles attacks in adulthood. It is thought better to contract the virus as a child as this gives people better immunity against shingles later in life. Despite strong evidence they do still administer it routinely in the US.
You can only contract/develop shingles if you've previously had chicken pox.
When your immunity is low, when you're run down, stressed out, post viral, thats when it attacks.
I'm wondering if the shingles jab is a good idea...maybe you'd still develop it but it wouldn't be so bad?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
You can only contract/develop shingles if you've previously had chicken pox.
When your immunity is low, when you're run down, stressed out, post viral, thats when it attacks.
I'm wondering if the shingles jab is a good idea...maybe you'd still develop it but it wouldn't be so bad?
I'm guessing the shingles jab might be a risk for someone who never had chicken pox. For others it either helps or does nothing. But the chicken pox vaccine is bad news.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 11:05 PM

I'm guessing the shingles jab might be a risk for someone who never had chicken pox. For others it either helps or does nothing. But the chicken pox vaccine is bad news.
I've had the shingles jab and I have never had chicken pox
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

12-12-2018, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
But did the jab give you shingles?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 11:33 PM

Not yet Annie, I only had it last October
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
An absolutely crazy thing to do imho.

If you've never had Chicken Pox then you cannot catch Shingles unless you come into direct contact with a Shingles sufferer whilst they are highly contagious and then you'd have to touch their sores.

So by having the vaccine you've simply now put yourself at risk of catching Shingles where before you had zero chance of catching it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

13-12-2018, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
An absolutely crazy thing to do imho.

If you've never had Chicken Pox then you cannot catch Shingles unless you come into direct contact with a Shingles sufferer whilst they are highly contagious and then you'd have to touch their sores.

So by having the vaccine you've simply now put yourself at risk of catching Shingles where before you had zero chance of catching it.
Don't let it concern you Realist, it was my decision

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top