Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 02:49 PM

How do you help ...

... a cat with hiccoughs?

Willow has them - and every time she 'hics' her front paws leave the floor!

Thought at first that she was trying to be sick - but no, it is definitely hiccoughs. I have tried rubbing/patting her back, given sips of water via a syringe, walked behind her and clapped my hands very loudly, gone into the kitchen and dropped a saucepan on the floor - all to no avail. I didn't even know cats could have hiccoughs. It looks funny to me - but must be distressing for her.

Short of swinging her round the room by her ankles I am at a loss to know what to do!

Will it just wear off?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 02:58 PM

Re: How do you help ...

How long has she had it Tabs? I have never had a cat with it, furballs yes but they get ejected at some point. I suppose it could be a furball causing it.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 03:16 PM

Over the years, a few of my cats have had them but they didn't last for long. Not sure what causes them but I found that stroking their throat seemed to help.
If they continue for more that 15 mins I would call a vet for advice.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 03:21 PM

I haven't witnessed cats but with dogs I try to get them to eat something, the act of swallowing seems to stop them hiccing.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
How long has she had it Tabs? I have never had a cat with it, furballs yes but they get ejected at some point. I suppose it could be a furball causing it.
She had them for a few minutes before I posted, Dongles.

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Over the years, a few of my cats have had them but they didn't last for long. Not sure what causes them but I found that stroking their throat seemed to help.
Tried that - still hiccoughing!

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I haven't witnessed cats but with dogs I try to get them to eat something, the act of swallowing seems to stop them hiccing.
Eureka ! Opened a tin of Tuna and put a teaspoonful in her dish - little eyes lit up with joy - all sign of hiccoughs gone!
Thank you, Julie.

I guess I will having Tuna sandwiches for tea then.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 03:51 PM

Now only thing to watch out for is false hiccoughs, Betty chihuahua is very good at looking sad and having pretend hiccoughs to get a treat
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 04:02 PM

Have you ever tried to swallow as you hiccough, Julie?
I know I can't, I'd just choke.
Seems to have worked though.

Tabs, just found this incase it may be of future interest:

https://www.thehappycatsite.com/cat-hiccups/
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 06:21 PM

Tuna is okay as an occasional treat but not long term, so not too many tuna sandwiches.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

29-12-2018, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Tuna is okay as an occasional treat but not long term, so not too many tuna sandwiches.
The tuna sandwiches are for me, Dongles, and I can eat them by the dozen - especially with balsamic vinegar on them!!

Willow was only given a teaspoonful. Never knew it was such a sovereign cure for hiccoughs though! Cats are weird, lovely, but weird.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

29-12-2018, 07:08 PM

Now only thing to watch out for is false hiccoughs, Betty chihuahua is very good at looking sad and having pretend hiccoughs to get a treat
I will watch out for that o ne, Julie, cats can be very devious!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top