Join for free
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 11:46 AM

How much do you reveal on social forums ?

Personally I try not to reveal too much .
It's dangerous who knows who is out there ?
We are warned constantly about online scamming etc .To say nothing of stalkers weirdos etc .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 11:49 AM

Re: How much do you reveal on social forums ?

Me too. I try not to reveal too much although I am sure there is always someone that thinks they know who you are. I am careful not to post any family pictures apart from the cats.

As I once wrote in a previous thread, I know the names of my neighbours opposite, I know where they work, what cars they drive, their number plates, where their parents live, where they were born and the names of their dog and two cats; and all they have ever said to me is 'Hello'.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 11:56 AM

Depends on the media, on friendly little forum like this I am fairly open, you won't find me posting pictures though that would worry me. On bigger more anonymous forums very little it's just opinions I share. Then places like twitter I'm even less open and just respond to tweets others make.

I can't see any point belonging to a place like this without being friendly and open. If I wasn't I wouldn't feel as engaged as I am.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 11:58 AM

Me, nothing. On another site someone was stupid enough to reveal their full name and where they lived, and who used an actual photo of themselves for their avatar. In one thread they commented on the litter and rubbish as they took a short cut across a grassy area to get to a certain supermarket which was a short walking distance from her home. They also posted a photo of some scene outside from an upstairs bedroom window, can't remember why.

To tell them they were revealing too much I googled the supermarket, found the grassy area, noted the diagonal path worn into the grass, indicating street direction. Google maps street view quickly showed the matching view from their bedroom window. It also revealed the street name and the door number. We then went to their (non-private!) Facebook page and perused their interests and pics they posted of their family and friends, and also pics they had posted on other websites as well. A friend and I went on to find a website where they posted pics of the home improvements they had done to their home and we got the back view of the house and garden as well, plus their van parked out front and the reg number. We could even make out the holiday stickers in the van window, so we knew where they had been holidaying. Using the name and so forth we got their home phone number, too. We called it a day at that point, having proved our case.

I never post ANYTHING.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 11:58 AM

I never reveal my body on the internet
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Very wise.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

Thank heaven for small mercies
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

30-12-2018, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Me, nothing. On another site someone was stupid enough to reveal their full name and where they lived, and who used an actual photo of themselves for their avatar. In one thread they commented on the litter and rubbish as they took a short cut across a grassy area to get to a certain supermarket which was a short walking distance from her home. They also posted a photo of some scene outside from an upstairs bedroom window, can't remember why.

To tell them they were revealing too much I googled the supermarket, found the grassy area, noted the diagonal path worn into the grass, indicating street direction. Google maps street view quickly showed the matching view from their bedroom window. It also revealed the street name and the door number. We then went to their (non-private!) Facebook page and perused their interests and pics they posted of their family and friends, and also pics they had posted on other websites as well. A friend and I went on to find a website where they posted pics of the home improvements they had done to their home and we got the back view of the house and garden as well, plus their van parked out front and the reg number. We could even make out the holiday stickers in the van window, so we knew where they had been holidaying. Using the name and so forth we got their home phone number, too. We called it a day at that point, having proved our case.

I never post ANYTHING.
Monsieur Poiret I presume ?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->

I never post ANYTHING.
Bloody hell, this post makes me frightened to be on a forum at all. Incidentally, once in a forum can you delete your account completely?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 12:23 PM

I think I've only been found once and that although scary was not on a forum where I was particularly open, it did reveal your IP addy and apparently I was traceable from that. I hadn't even revealed my name on there and it was a mod decided to look me up. I often wonder where he is as he only got a short prison sentence so he's out there somewhere

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top