Join for free
Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 01:41 PM

Re: How much do you reveal on social forums ?

I'm pretty open too. As Roxy says, Carol's Hot Seat thread was a time where we could express ourselves more freely without going too deep into our very personal lives.
Some may not agree and prefer to remain extremely secretive and mysterious, but I am sure that I could trust somebody who is open and honest far more than a member who is afraid to even say which town they are even from or offer a glimpse of a photo once in a while. They are too guarded; how can they be genuine?
These same folk will go shopping, sit in restaurants and meet people in the street, talk to tradesmen in their houses....who's listening in to your conversation there guys?

You don't need to go over the top with it. I post pics of myself. They can't be used as passport photos and although everyone knows I live in Hull I don't tell them exactly where by showing a photo of my house.

I have a friend who constantly berates his wife because she is so naive about being careful on facebook. Every time they go out she is telling people where they are, which is stupid. Burglars would have a field day at their house.
Likewise, my stepdaughters who post hundreds of photos of their kids on FB. How stupid is that? "Oh, it's for friends and family - no one else can see them!" they retort angrily....Oh yeah? Ever heard of hackers, girls?? I am not on FB mainly for that reason.

There is a lady on this site who does actually name members of her family when she posts which I don't think is a great idea, but that's up to her. I wouldn't do that.

I enjoy everybody's company on this site and I occasionally chat to a couple of people via a PM. Those people I trust vehemently as it's the way they come across as nice, friendly folk. The ones who hide everything away I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them, even though they are great to talk to on the threads on here.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I do and I don't.
I never post personal pics.
I agree with you Muddy, be careful.
I have learnt that trolls use the information that upsets you against you.
Depends how careful you are. Some people over expose themselves too much in other ways
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Depends how careful you are. Some people over expose themselves too much in other ways
Oh I say Floydy.
Yes I remember in cheeky. X

Actually it is the very personal stuff like deaths in my family and stuff.
I have even had that thrown at me.
There are some cruel people.
issi
scotland
issi is female  issi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 01:52 PM

I really never gave these things a thought. I am not really computer savvy, I am an open person by nature but this is certainly food for thought. I really will be careful from now I am glad that this subject cane up, thank you folks.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by issi ->
I really never gave these things a thought. I am not really computer savvy, I am an open person by nature but this is certainly food for thought. I really will be careful from now I am glad that this subject cane up, thank you folks.
Sometimes I have to stop myself Issi. I am also quite an open person in real life and could quite easily get carried away online. Anyway, it makes us more mysterious.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 02:22 PM

So does anyone know if once a profile is made in OFF if it can be completely deleted?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->

There is a lady on this site who does actually name members of her family when she posts which I don't think is a great idea, but that's up to her. I wouldn't do that.

Oh dear - you mean me don't you Floydy?
I mention Ady & Paula a lot and the children Josh & Taylor.

In what way could this harm them?

I was on a site once where a member called her daughter 'child' I thought that was a bit overly cautious.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2018, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
So does anyone know if once a profile is made in OFF if it can be completely deleted?
Not sure LQ. I know these posts are out there on the internet and can come up on Google search results.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-12-2018, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Oh I say Floydy.
Yes I remember in cheeky. X

Actually it is the very personal stuff like deaths in my family and stuff.
I have even had that thrown at me.
There are some cruel people.
That photo in Cheeky Chat wouldn't tell anybody who I am, where I live or my personal details, Sweetie Pie.
Do you walk down your high street in a Betty Boop mask? I thought not. How dangerous, everyone will know who you are!

There are some cruel people on social media, I agree. But maybe some people have been rather foolish in the past to post things that may drop themselves in it. It's like having an argument with someone in real life and saying too many things we shouldn't - it may open too many closets. It's best to be wise than overly self-obsessed.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-12-2018, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Sometimes I have to stop myself Issi. I am also quite an open person in real life and could quite easily get carried away online. Anyway, it makes us more mysterious.
You are just about the best bloke on the forum Longdogs, but you are rather secretive. is there a reason for that...have you had problems on social media like Sweetie Pie has, for instance? Genuine question bud

Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top