Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 04:45 PM

Re: Slow Cooker Soups ( ideas, suggestions or recipes please )

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Pauline, I see you are cooking some pork. Are you doing my recipe, or something different?

I nearly bought some to make this casserole but have enough meals for now, so will make one soon. I love it.
I made something similar to yours yesterday Jazzi and it was really lovely. Apples and pork go hand in hand. My husband was happy for the suggestion and it will definitely be made again.
Thank you.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 06:17 PM

Bratty, did you add cider to it?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 06:32 PM

I always cook My ham joint in the slow cooker,but never tried a beef joint...I will now..sounds yummy.

oops...wrong thread...should have been in the roasting a joint one
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Bratty, did you add cider to it?
No I didn’t with this since it was only pork chops not a roast. I added 5 apples in pieces which added juice then I added a touch of water and it created a nice sauce which caramelized . I then added some walnut pieces. With the cinnamon and nutmeg it was really tasty.

Next time I’m going to do an entire roast and add the cider.
My man was pleasantly surprised.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
No I didn’t with this since it was only pork chops not a roast. I added 5 apples in pieces which added juice then I added a touch of water and it created a nice sauce which caramelized . I then added some walnut pieces. With the cinnamon and nutmeg it was really tasty.

Next time I’m going to do an entire roast and add the cider.
My man was pleasantly surprised.
Or try the pork pieces to do a pork, cider and apple casserole.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 11:59 PM

I need to pick your brains please, as I have a slight problem with my small slow cooker.

I have a 3.5 ltr one (Crockpot) which is brill, and I also have a little 1.5 ltr made by Lakeland. It is the smaller one I have trouble with.
It is hard to explain without showing you, but I will do my best.

I was in another room, and could hear this tap, tap, tapping sound coming from somewhere. I traced it to the kitchen, and found it was the little cooker making the noise.

I discovered that when I am cooking on 'High' with the little cooker, condensation soon builds up under the glass lid.
After a while, the condensation turns to water and trickles down the inside of the lid back into whatever's cooking - in theory.

But what was happening here, was as the water trickled down the lid interior, some of it was collecting around the ceramic pot rim, and as it bubbled and popped under the lid, it was tapping the lid up and down, which was what I had been hearing.

I lifted the lid, wiped the water from around the rim with some kitchen roll, put the lid back and went back to what I was doing.
In about 10 mins it started again! I suppose it was a bit like s saucepan lid when something is boiling under it.

It was irritating, but the thing that bothered me most was every now and then, a bubble on the rim 'popped' and a tiny amount of water from it trickled down the exterior of the outside pot.

This worried me alot because I was frightened a condensation bubble would burst and trickle down the front part where the electric On/Off switch is.
What would happen if it did? Would it flash and cause a fire?
Can water get behind that switch?

I phoned the manufacturer.
I explained that was nothing to do with me over-filling the pot, as it was only half full. It was the condensation causing the problem, not the contents of the pot.
They were very good and offered to refund my money, but I said let me try it once more.

I used it a few days ago, again only half full, and the same thing happened again. Bubbles and the lift tapping up and down.

Phoned the makers again today and had a long chat with a very nice lady. She knew exactly what I meant, as the same thing happens with hers - a different model altogether.

She assured me it is perfectly safe. She said that had been making my model one for over 10 years now, and would certainly have found out before now if it was a design fault, and to be fair, I can see her point.
She again offered to refund me if I wasn't happy.

I now don't know what to do. I do like the cooker if it wasn't for this.

Am I worrying about nothing?
Should I try it on LOW instead of High and see what happens?
Should I just wipe the rim and carry one?
Should I send it back?

I would very much like to know if this ever happens to anyone else please, and if so, what you do about it.

Ta muchly.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 01:12 AM

Sorry, no time for hours of preparation in my case.
Tesco mug of soup from a packet. Hot water, stir, drink. Done.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Sorry, no time for hours of preparation in my case.
Tesco mug of soup from a packet. Hot water, stir, drink. Done.
Agree.
But Ainsley Harriott's are superior to all the rest
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Agree.
But Ainsley Harriott's are superior to all the rest
Does he do packet soups?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I need to pick your brains please, as I have a slight problem with my small slow cooker.

I have a 3.5 ltr one (Crockpot) which is brill, and I also have a little 1.5 ltr made by Lakeland. It is the smaller one I have trouble with.
It is hard to explain without showing you, but I will do my best.

I was in another room, and could hear this tap, tap, tapping sound coming from somewhere. I traced it to the kitchen, and found it was the little cooker making the noise.

I discovered that when I am cooking on 'High' with the little cooker, condensation soon builds up under the glass lid.
After a while, the condensation turns to water and trickles down the inside of the lid back into whatever's cooking - in theory.

But what was happening here, was as the water trickled down the lid interior, some of it was collecting around the ceramic pot rim, and as it bubbled and popped under the lid, it was tapping the lid up and down, which was what I had been hearing.

I lifted the lid, wiped the water from around the rim with some kitchen roll, put the lid back and went back to what I was doing.
In about 10 mins it started again! I suppose it was a bit like s saucepan lid when something is boiling under it.

It was irritating, but the thing that bothered me most was every now and then, a bubble on the rim 'popped' and a tiny amount of water from it trickled down the exterior of the outside pot.

This worried me alot because I was frightened a condensation bubble would burst and trickle down the front part where the electric On/Off switch is.
What would happen if it did? Would it flash and cause a fire?
Can water get behind that switch?

I phoned the manufacturer.
I explained that was nothing to do with me over-filling the pot, as it was only half full. It was the condensation causing the problem, not the contents of the pot.
They were very good and offered to refund my money, but I said let me try it once more.

I used it a few days ago, again only half full, and the same thing happened again. Bubbles and the lift tapping up and down.

Phoned the makers again today and had a long chat with a very nice lady. She knew exactly what I meant, as the same thing happens with hers - a different model altogether.

She assured me it is perfectly safe. She said that had been making my model one for over 10 years now, and would certainly have found out before now if it was a design fault, and to be fair, I can see her point.
She again offered to refund me if I wasn't happy.

I now don't know what to do. I do like the cooker if it wasn't for this.

Am I worrying about nothing?
Should I try it on LOW instead of High and see what happens?
Should I just wipe the rim and carry one?
Should I send it back?

I would very much like to know if this ever happens to anyone else please, and if so, what you do about it.

Ta muchly.

Fret not Mups darlin' - all is well - I have this problem with my slow cooker (its over 40 years old and still going strong) - just leave it alone it'll be fine. To stop worrying - just close the kitchen door to deaden the noise from it.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top