Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 01:49 PM

Re: Update on PMs and Members-only section

I thought it was 50 posts to see the 'members thread'
For a pm - I don't see a problem with access from the start, as long as you could stop the person from being able to pm in the future, should there be a problem.
Is that a possible option Azz ? Putting a block on a certain person .......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->
My concern is that if a few friends from another forum join (as a few have done recently, and as when I joined with others), they won't be able to pm each other. I know it was important to me when I joined to communicate with my friends, until I found my feet, being shy like I am. I'm sure it would put them off from contributing. 50 posts sounds like a lot to me.

I'd be interested to know what the new members feel about it.
Hi Joy members still have access and can use the Visitor Messaging on their Profile page but the PM system has been abused in the past by some new members joining the forum, using the PM system on their first visit, then not returning to the forum again As has been said some forums require many more postings before having access to the PM system.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 05:45 PM

I don't know anything about the running of forums but I heard some folks just join forums to use the PM facility as a secure messaging service and that's why the 50/100 post system gets introduced, they don't bother to introduce themselves, maybe make one post or not even one, that in my opinion is in the interest of nobody, except themselves.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 05:54 PM

Thank you for the explanation Mags.

I'm surprised that folk join JUST for the messaging facility.
There are plenty of chat rooms out there for that sort of thing!!!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 06:46 PM

As Mags mentioned, yes unfortunately some people sign up just to spam via PMs. They get reported, banned - but then sign up again to carry on

Having a restriction makes it more difficult for them - although of course you will never stop the determined

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I thought it was 50 posts to see the 'members thread'
For a pm - I don't see a problem with access from the start, as long as you could stop the person from being able to pm in the future, should there be a problem.
Is that a possible option Azz ? Putting a block on a certain person .......
I've linked both to a special 'Has posted 50 times' usergroup. So changing the criteria for PMs would change it for the members-only forum too. It is possible to create separate usergroups but I try to keep them to as few as possible, as it means yet more permissions to check when setting up sections etc.

I was actually going to go with 100 on this site as it's a very 'chatty' site and easy to rack up that many posts. But we'll see how 50 goes for now
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 06:48 PM

OK Azz - thanks
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 10:52 PM

Personally I don't care what the limit is. Never send PMs this is a forum after all., and not fussed about the members only section either for the same reason.
FLYBYNIGHT
West Sussex
FLYBYNIGHT is female  FLYBYNIGHT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 12:59 PM

As a newbie, I was pleased to get a few PM's to welcome me.
As my "counter" seems to have got stuck at 16, I would have a long wait, wouldn't I?
I don't understand why people want a "dating" facility. For me the attraction was that the site didn't have one, but you can't please everybody, I suppose.
I joined because I like playing "Word Games", seemed a good enough reason to me.

FLY
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by FLYBYNIGHT ->
As a newbie, I was pleased to get a few PM's to welcome me.
As my "counter" seems to have got stuck at 16, I would have a long wait, wouldn't I?
I don't understand why people want a "dating" facility. For me the attraction was that the site didn't have one, but you can't please everybody, I suppose.
I joined because I like playing "Word Games", seemed a good enough reason to me.

FLY
Hi Fly people can still leave 'visitors messages' of welcome on member's profile pages, it is just PMs that require a quota of posts.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

02-06-2014, 01:12 PM

Hi Fly - it isn't 'this' site proposed as a dating site .......... I hope !

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top