Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 08:48 PM

Arthritis

Does anyone have arthritis? What do you take for the pain - or how do you manage it? What causes a flare-up?
I've been taking Naproxen - which apparently works better the more you take it (cumulative effect), but I'm finding it makes me feel ill, fed-up and miserable. I've been out today and spent a fair amount of time sitting on a railway sleeper in the sun. As the effects of the Naproxen wore off and the sun warmed me - I felt massively better...........so perhaps direct heat would help?

Any hints and tips very welcome as I want to explore different ways of managing.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 08:53 PM

Re: Arthritis

I have it quite bad in my left hand. I haven't resorted to taking anything for it yet, but I do use a support glove on my left hand which kind of eases some of the pain.

I'll be interested to see what other sufferers take for theirs.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I have it quite bad in my left hand. I haven't resorted to taking anything for it yet, but I do use a support glove on my left hand which kind of eases some of the pain.

I'll be interested to see what other sufferers take for theirs.
Is it always painful? Or is it only during cold weather?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 09:12 PM

I have an osteopath who mobilises my arthritic discomfort.
Works for me. I usually have one or two treatments a month.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 09:15 PM

I have it in both feet, knees and assorted finger joints. Naproxen does nothing for me so I'm on one Diclofenac a day plus a couple of paracetamol before bed. My mobility has dropped due to lockdowns but I'm still hobbling about! (Also wear a compression sock on one foot and one knee)!
Life is much easier when it is warmer, cold wet days are a trial.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Is it always painful? Or is it only during cold weather?
It’s more painful in the winter than the summer, Lindy. I find the glove support gives some warmth which helps.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Does anyone have arthritis? What do you take for the pain - or how do you manage it? What causes a flare-up?
I've been taking Naproxen - which apparently works better the more you take it (cumulative effect), but I'm finding it makes me feel ill, fed-up and miserable. I've been out today and spent a fair amount of time sitting on a railway sleeper in the sun. As the effects of the Naproxen wore off and the sun warmed me - I felt massively better...........so perhaps direct heat would help?

Any hints and tips very welcome as I want to explore different ways of managing.
I have it in both hips ,spine , shoulders ,ankles and feet . Not all at once on any given day thank goodness
Probably damp and wet conditions make the pain worse although I had excruciating pain in my feet in warm weather last summer!
I take soluble paracetamol .
Lindyloo
isle of wight

27-02-2021, 09:39 PM

I have a wheat bag I bought years ago for a pulled muscle in my shoulder and I've now micro-waved that and it's on my knees and it feels great - all pain has gone.
Has anyone tried an infrared lamp?
My arthritis is definitely triggered by cold weather and the flare-ups so far seem to occur in February - after prolonged standing.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 09:40 PM

I have basal thumb arthritis in both thumbs, worse in my left one though. Also knees and hips. Naproxen does seem to help but not as much as I'd like. Warmer, drier weather definitely improves it, and keeping my hands busy is a must - I always have some knitting or crocheting at the ready, which sometimes is painful to begin with but it definitely improves my mobility if I keep at it.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

28-02-2021, 08:05 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've now spent a second afternoon mostly sitting in the sun but today has been without medication after researching the side effects of my painkillers - and so far so good. Far far better than yesterday, so I'm wondering how much the painkillers contributed to my fatigue and concern.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top