Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 08:49 PM

Saudi Law

Apologies if we already have a thread on this, though I couldn't see one.

What do you think about the 74 year old British grandad who was sentenced to a year in a Saudi jail, and then 350 lashes?

Surely even a young, fit body couldn't take that amount of beating? The skin must be slashed to a pulp before even half that amount of lashes have been dished out. If the person didn't bleed to death I would have thought the body would go into shock and a heart attack.

The sentence is probably a 'more acceptable' way of really saying 'sentenced to death by flogging.'

Another gruesome thought here - what happens if someone dies of shock before the end I wonder? Do they stop, or do they complete the sentence anyway?

I agree the man must have known the rules of that country well enough, and he took a risk and got caught.
Nevertheless, I am still amazed at the barbarity of some countries.
And some people reckon our prisons are harsh!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 09:44 PM

Re: Saudi Law

Tsk you are talking of our allies .
The Saudis who are guilty of some of the worst human rights violations on the planet but we are chummy with because they supply us with oil
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 09:50 PM

I'm not sure if I'm right about this ...
But wasn't his original sentence 12 months in prison? Of which he has now served 14 months?
Were the lashes ever part of the original sentence?

Yes .. he should have known what risk he took. It doesn't stop you feeling it is overly harsh but this is also the country that thinks nothing of beheading people for anti-government protests.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 09:51 PM

What did he do to break the law Mups?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
What did he do to break the law Mups?

He was found with some home-made plonk in the boot of his car, Jem.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 10:03 PM

Hi

Home made wine was the big crime.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 10:04 PM

Hang on, firstly the man knew the rules, and he must have had a great life there having lived there for 25 years.
Now before we criticise flogging, perhaps its a good thing might teach some of our criminals to behave, I am led to believe this isn't just the punishment straight off but a lash or two wait till the wounds heal then again till they heal etc.
Now it hasn't been carried out and I believe it never will otherwise he would have had some by now, his sentence included 12 months prison and he has done more 14 months, probably been commuted to a longer sentence, if you do the crime you must do the time.
I remember when I was a kid IOM had flogging and if my memory serves me right we did, with the birching.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

18-10-2015, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Home made wine was the big crime.

Just said that!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

18-10-2015, 10:08 PM

[QUOTE=Wrinkly;723270]Hang on, firstly the man knew the rules, and he must have had a great life there having lived there for 25 years.
Now before we criticise flogging, perhaps its a good thing might teach some of our criminals to behave, I am led to believe this isn't just the punishment straight off but a lash or two wait till the wounds heal then again till they heal etc.
Now it hasn't been carried out and I believe it never will otherwise he would have had some by now, his sentence included 12 months prison and he has done more 14 months, probably been commuted to a longer sentence, if you do the crime you must do the time.
I remember when I was a kid IOM had flogging and if my memory serves me right we did, with the birching.[/QUOTE]

Not 350 of 'em though Wrinkly! I agree about he would have known the penalty, I already said that in the OP.
Still think it's barbaric though.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2015, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Just said that!
Hi

Sorry, tried to delete my post after I saw yours, but failed miserably.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top