Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 09:04 AM

Re: Yet another dog mauled to death

I can't read the link as it would be too upsetting.

There seems to be so many big dogs now under the ineffectual control of idiots. I've been warned that there are a couple of boxer dogs roaming the beach near me that are attacking other dogs. There was an attack by them last week on another dog and when the lady tried to get to her dog to rescue it, the boxers turned on her and she was quite badly bitten by them.

Almost makes you feel like arming yourself just in case.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 10:24 AM

Every day I read the BBC News, and nearly every day there is something about dogs, be it cruelty to them, by them, attacks on people etc. I think by now everyone realises that there is a huge problem. If it wasn't for many housing association rental homes banning such animals there would be far more. Surely it is coming to a point that something drastic needs to be done. It is getting way out of control.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Every day I read the BBC News, and nearly every day there is something about dogs, be it cruelty to them, by them, attacks on people etc. I think by now everyone realises that there is a huge problem. If it wasn't for many housing association rental homes banning such animals there would be far more. Surely it is coming to a point that something drastic needs to be done. It is getting way out of control.
Classic example of a "moral panic:"

Moral panic is a term used to describe media presentation of something that has happened that the public will react to in a panicky manner. Moral panic has a tendency to exaggerate statistics and to create a bogey-man, known as a folk-devil in sociological terms. In recent years moral panic and media presentation have covered a wide-ranging number of topics from HIV/AIDS in the 1980’s to asylum seekers into the UK in the 2000’s. Moral panic goes back as far as World War One when the wartime government used the media to portray the Germans in a certain manner in the hope of provoking a response.
There is a problem with dogs in the UK, but it's not about the dangers of dogs, it's about the fact that humans treat dogs (and other animals) as disposable commodities. Buying them on a whim and disposing of them just as quickly. Almost every issue laid at the door of dogs is a human issue, not a canine one.

Solutions?
Step One - make it illegal for dogs to be offlead in public areas.
Step Two - Bring in a new dog licence, not to licence the dog, but to ensure that the human is a suitable carer for a dog.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Classic example of a "moral panic:"

There is a problem with dogs in the UK, but it's not about the dangers of dogs, it's about the fact that humans treat dogs (and other animals) as disposable commodities. Buying them on a whim and disposing of them just as quickly. Almost every issue laid at the door of dogs is a human issue, not a canine one.

Solutions?
Step One - make it illegal for dogs to be offlead in public areas.
Step Two - Bring in a new dog licence, not to licence the dog, but to ensure that the human is a suitable carer for a dog.
I go along with those solutions for sure. Just wish they would hurry up and implement them or something very similar.

Moral panic is a term used to describe media presentation of something that has happened that the public will react to in a panicky manner. Moral panic has a tendency to exaggerate statistics and to create a bogey-man, known as a folk-devil in sociological terms. In recent years moral panic and media presentation have covered a wide-ranging number of topics from HIV/AIDS in the 1980’s to asylum seekers into the UK in the 2000’s. Moral panic goes back as far as World War One when the wartime government used the media to portray the Germans in a certain manner in the hope of provoking a response.
As for moral panic - no not really owing to a lot of my panic being based on experience, and nearly everyone has a horror story to tell. I see it daily on my runs, be in on grassy or built up areas - dogs everywhere and many off the lead.

Little bit condescending to dismiss my post as being 'moral panic' don't you think - more than a little come to think of it? Eh, do me a favour and back off the psycological claptrap and stick to dealing with us forum 'fools' as people with minds of our own - thank you very much.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 12:44 PM

Not condescending at all, just realistic!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 12:50 PM

The problem is when you have spoken so irrationally about dogs for so long you will get people think you are a bit panicked sometimes
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

23-08-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The problem is when you have spoken so irrationally about dogs for so long you will get people think you are a bit panicked sometimes
Problem I can see with you Julie is you haven't quite got a handle on my sense of humour yet. I think most on here can tell by now when I am being sensational just for the hell of it. I have been deemed a 'WUM' apparently - wind up merchant. Bear in mind though I never started this thread off. Just another dog incident in a long line of - not good.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

23-08-2013, 01:21 PM

Not condescending at all, just realistic!
I think you want to go back to your course work and look up just what 'condescending' means. Your nonsense is about as condescending as it comes.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Problem I can see with you Julie is you haven't quite got a handle on my sense of humour yet. I think most on here can tell by now when I am being sensational just for the hell of it. I have been deemed a 'WUM' apparently - wind up merchant. Bear in mind though I never started this thread off. Just another dog incident in a long line of - not good.
Sense of humour ? Hmmmm I think when you clearly wind someone up that ceases to be humour. When this forum is a sister site to a dog forum where we all clearly are besotted with our dogs to expect us to find dog cruelty etc funny is being a bit of a WUM.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

23-08-2013, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Sense of humour ? Hmmmm I think when you clearly wind someone up that ceases to be humour. When this forum is a sister site to a dog forum where we all clearly are besotted with our dogs to expect us to find dog cruelty etc funny is being a bit of a WUM.
Ok Julie. You are so right. I stand corrected . You have tamed me and my sense of humour - well done . Bit odd though that I am laughing at your response isn't it ? How annoying to you is that eh ? Chalk and cheese we are and always will be I am afraid. Oh well I can live with that - can you ?

I do so like smilies .

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top