Join for free
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2013, 10:19 AM

Baggage storage at airports/train stations

Has anyone ever used this facility? I go away next week but travelling from East London to Gatwick, with a full suitcase, hand luggage (both usually at max allowance!) and coat, to a fixed itinerary, leaves me always feeling quite stressed!! I hate Gatwick. It's on the other side of the river to me and train stations are not user friendly. Steps everywhere.

Last night I was looking at B&Bs in the area, but cheapest was around £50, cont brekkie, no guarantee of a comfy bed, etc.

So this morning I hit on the idea of using baggage storage. Was going to use a London station but they actually do it at the airports charging a reasonable £9 for 24 hours. If I was to go up the day before I could use cheap transport and take my time. I've messaged the company asking if I can do so, as at Gatwick it's in the Arrivals concourse.

Plus, of course, it would confuse all my neighbours if they saw me go out with a suitcase but come home empty handed, the same day! I am not telling anyone I'm going away!
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2013, 10:41 AM

Re: Baggage storage at airports/train stations

Sounds a good idea doing the storage. £9 isn't to be sniffed at especially when you see the price of hotels around Gatwick.
I booked a hotel at Manchester airport last year as I had an early flight
and that was "cheap" at £24. Don't suppose they have cheap around London
Hope you have a great time.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2013, 11:54 AM

I've never used this facility as I only use the 4 main midlands airports (Birmingham, Stansted, Luton and East Midlands) and always drive there whatever the time of day. I always choose morning flights as I don't mind getting up early and there's always little traffic on the roads at that time of day. I'm not partial to hauling luggage about myself these days and am seriously considering getting a smaller suitcase that I can handle more easily.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2013, 05:24 PM

Thanks BE. Alan, if I could choose, I would choose Stansted above everywhere else. A short bus ride away takes me to a nearby station where the Stansted Express stops.

However, it was Gatwick or nothing for this holiday. They've replied stating it's open 24 hours and where it is, so I suppose I can just go.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2013, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Thanks BE. Alan, if I could choose, I would choose Stansted above everywhere else. A short bus ride away takes me to a nearby station where the Stansted Express stops.

However, it was Gatwick or nothing for this holiday. They've replied stating it's open 24 hours and where it is, so I suppose I can just go.

Gatwick is a mere 30 min train ride for me - since you're storing your luggage there overnight Jan darlin' - can I smuggle into your luggage and you take me along with to wherever you're going????
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2013, 06:48 PM

I see that it would save you money Jazzi, but I used a similar facility in Spain earlier this and it cost 1 euro!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

13-11-2013, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Moiramary ->
I see that it would save you money Jazzi, but I used a similar facility in Spain earlier this and it cost 1 euro!
Can believe that! UJ, no disrespect but I always pack to my maximum allowance! Sorry, but I shall be declining your kind offer to accompany me.

Oh, UJ hope you are ok after your awful experience! And get a lock fitted on your window.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

13-11-2013, 07:15 PM

For me to get to Gatwick (say for this holiday) would have involved:

1. Using Gatwick Flyer, for around £55-60 return. BUT, leaving home around 5.30 - 6am, as next pickup 8.15, not giving sufficient time.

2. Getting a cab all the way, at heaven knows what cost.

3. Catching bus outside home to Victoria Line, using said Victoria Line, then at Victoria having to negotiate several flights of long steps to get to street level. Then on to either, British Rail to Gatwick, or...catching a bus down to coach station and getting cheap coach to Gatwick.

4. Or, my plan B...going the day before, without time constraint, getting bus outside to my local bus station, catching a bus that will go to London Bridge station ( I can find something to read to pass time, and I have my free Oyster card), taking direct train from L/B to Gatwick, deposit bag, go into Departures lounge and find where Air Malta is, then...go to National Express counter and use my over60 card to get cheap coach back to London, then use Oyster on Victoria Line home.

If I want to the next day, I could use Victoria Line from home, then Natl Express back to Gatwick, getting cheap ticket, because I won't have so much to carry.

Brilliant plan or what?!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top