Join for free
Page 6 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2021, 07:58 PM

Re: Is There a Breakdown of Respect?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Well that sort of proves my point about religion being the root of good manners.
Nonsense. If anything it underlines theism as being the root of hypocrisy!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2021, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
What on earth gives you the idea that humanists think we are in any way superior to the superstitious? As for "celebrants" in a humanist wedding or funeral the role of a "celebrant" is the same as a toastmaster or master of ceremonies at a formal event and that is as far as it goes!

My life, you REALLY don't know what you're going on about!
Really? Then why have a "humanist celebrant" or a "humanist ceremony"? It's a blinkin' religion that's why!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2021, 08:04 PM

Manners Maketh Man = the motto of William of Wykeham the Bishop of Winchester links in with the grace of God & showing grace to other people however they behave. It's engrained in British values. But it's rooted in Christianity.
Well the person who created the Church of England didn't appear to show much grace to people with whom he disagreed. He seemed to prefer such things as decapitation and even hanging, drawing and quartering for his 'specials'.

I've been watching The Tudors.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2021, 08:06 PM

Really? Then why have a "humanist celebrant" or a "humanist ceremony"? It's a blinkin' religion that's why!
Not at all! The master of ceremonies responsibility is simply to make sure that the party runs with the right people in the right place for the photographs and the champagne is chilled and the red wine is at room temp. It's NOT a religion. If anything it's the antithesis of a religion.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2021, 08:06 PM

I have no manners, I simply try to avoid insulting most silly old bats up even when they come out with a load of boll**ks.
I'm sure he wasn't referring to you personally as a silly old bat, Annie.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2021, 08:07 PM

Yes, and I've always maintained atheism is a religion too.

Some people (non religious) just don't know when to zip it.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

15-04-2021, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
LOL! Oh as if I would!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2021, 08:12 PM

Well the person who created the Church of England didn't appear to show much grace to people with whom he disagreed. He seemed to prefer such things as decapitation and even hanging, drawing and quartering for his 'specials'.

I've been watching The Tudors.
Well perhaps they had no manners?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

15-04-2021, 08:13 PM

Well I'm young enough to be his daughter so I didn't think so.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

15-04-2021, 08:18 PM

Not at all! The master of ceremonies responsibility is simply to make sure that the party runs with the right people in the right place for the photographs and the champagne is chilled and the red wine is at room temp. It's NOT a religion. If anything it's the antithesis of a religion.
Look it has it's own list of principles :

https://secularhumanism.org/what-is-...s-of-humanism/

It's like a humanist version of the Nicene Creed!

Page 6 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top