Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 12:31 PM

Re: Tipping? - bus tours

Funny isn't it, coach drivers and taxi drivers get tips for driving you, but have you ever seen anyone tip an airline pilot?
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 12:48 PM

Or a bus driver.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 01:13 PM

I always tip on coach tours or taxis but, in my head, I fail to see why I should. As others have said you have already paid for the service you are getting.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 05:53 PM

I find the whole idea of tipping nowadays totally redundant. At a time when those recipients were really lowly paid it made sort of sense (unless of course you were a member of that lowly paid group yourself) but today with a legal minimum wage I find it superfluous. For instance why, when in a pub, do people say "have one yourself" to the bar staff? Would you say to the butcher for instance, "a pound of sausages and have one yourself"? Or as the green grocer for a bunch of banana and offer him one back as a 'tip'? No of course not, so why offer bar staff a drink?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 06:17 PM

One thing they are very strict on over Des is tipping barmen/women, it OK to tip the 'Lounge boy/girl' who tend the tables and carry the order over to your table, but never those behind the bar. I was surprised when I first visited London back in the 60's to hear people say "And have one for yourself".
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 09:33 PM

Hairdressers are another group who people give tips to.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
I find the whole idea of tipping nowadays totally redundant. At a time when those recipients were really lowly paid it made sort of sense (unless of course you were a member of that lowly paid group yourself) but today with a legal minimum wage I find it superfluous. For instance why, when in a pub, do people say "have one yourself" to the bar staff? Would you say to the butcher for instance, "a pound of sausages and have one yourself"? Or as the green grocer for a bunch of banana and offer him one back as a 'tip'? No of course not, so why offer bar staff a drink?
That really made me laugh it is a bit ridiculous selecting certain people to receive favours and not others..
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 02:04 AM

Made me laugh too! Funny how countries are different. Here in Oz I don't know anyone who tips a hairdresser yet we tip good restaurant service, and taxi drivers whether they are good or not.

I don't mind tipping voluntarily for good service at my own discretion. What I hate is being told how much to tip by the travel companies. I think it was 4 Euros each per day last time. Same in America where the tip is often printed on the receipt and you pay it automatically unless you demand to have it removed.

And on cruise ships where the tips are added to your credit card account and you have to formally request for them to be removed. I would much prefer to pay more up front.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top