Join for free
Page 4 of 20 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2014, 07:41 PM

Re: Phil's Phings

Hi Phil ... read and enjoyed your ramblings in the Derby Telegraph - I hated learning to drive but thankfully passed first time - wouldn't have bothered again if I hadn't
philwhiteland
Derbyshire, UK
philwhiteland is male  philwhiteland has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2014, 08:52 PM

Thanks myrtle. One of my aunts had lessons secretly - failed and never tried again. It was a great pity.
philwhiteland
Derbyshire, UK
philwhiteland is male  philwhiteland has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2014, 03:30 PM

deleted message
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2014, 04:21 PM

Fourteen great reviews and only one not so great! Well done Phil, best wishes to you. Keep it up.
philwhiteland
Derbyshire, UK

03-03-2014, 04:28 PM

Thanks. I'll try
philwhiteland
Derbyshire, UK

07-03-2014, 03:26 PM

On the Famous Detectives thread recently, there was some discussion on the topic of hat-wearing. This is a piece I wrote a while ago on that subject, which you might find amusing

The Prat in the Hat
(with apologies to Dr. Seuss)

It occurred to me, whilst watching Foyle’s War the other night, that something really fundamental must have happened in the late 1940s/early 1950s to stop the wearing of hats. If you look at Foyle’s War* (and you really should, it’s brilliant), every male character wears a hat that signifies their social status. How and why did this end?

I have been particularly exercised by this because, as many readers will know, I am somewhat follically challenged. I have hair of extremely restricted growth. Either that, or my forehead has fallen desperately in love with the back of my neck and will destroy everything in its path to form a liaison. The problem being, if it’s successful in this endeavour, my face will probably fold in half.

Taking all of the above into account, you will understand why I’m quite keen on the idea of hats and would quite like to see their reintroduction. I have been leading a one-man campaign to try to achieve this but, as I am hardly a fashion icon, this has been all for naught. Plodding around Nottingham in my overcoat and fedora, I have attracted some pitying looks. I have also had some hard stares, given that I also carry a bag containing my sat-nav, wallet, glasses and so on, all of which has the appearance of a gas mask and makes me look like someone who took the wrong turn to the Air Raid Shelter seventy years ago and has only just turned up.

Summer brings a necessity for hat wearing that never used to be a problem. As a consequence (and because I keep forgetting to take one with me on holiday), I’m rapidly gaining a collection of baseball caps and other headgear that I would not normally wear if you paid me. I am definitely of the opinion that no-one, apart from golfers and baseball players (who both have their own fashion problems), looks good in a baseball cap. A recent hot day on the Isle of Wight necessitated a sullen trip to the local gift shop to cover a rapidly reddening scalp. There was the usual collection of baseball caps and floppy sun hats, none of which particularly appealed. I was drawn toward a range of cowboy hats but my wife wisely intervened. The only remaining alternative, which I finished up sporting, has not really been fashionable since the Cultural Revolution in China but did, at least, save my expanding parting from incinerating.

We need a fashion revolution that will reinstate the hat for the follically challenged. Help me to bring back hat-wearing whilst I’ve still got enough hair to make it look like a fashion statement rather than a necessity.

* By the way, only a British Detective TV programme could have the lead character (Michael Kitchen accompanied by the delightful Honeysuckle Weeks), when threatened by a trained assassin with a silenced pistol, start to walk a little more quickly. Great stuff!
philwhiteland
Derbyshire, UK

10-03-2014, 01:34 PM

Ten Pin Bowling, Tamla Motown and cinematic criticism...

I hurled it down the lane, fine! - Part 1

Dum, dum de dum dum, dum de dum dum,
Dum, dum de dum dum, dum de dum dum.

Doesn’t quite capture it, does it? You see, ideally, this article would be coming to you in surround-sound, with all hisses and crackles suppressed and the bass enhanced (as opposed to having the Bass enhanced which would probably involve a barley wine and a whisky chaser). All of this will hopefully make sense in a little while.

This article was prompted by news of the closure of the Superbowl in Bargates’ (as I and legions of others have always known it, despite valiant efforts to rechristen it as the Riverside Centre) prior to the proposed demolition of this little-loved 1960’s development to be replaced by….? (Probably a little-loved 21st Century Local Government ‘vision’).

Bargates’ was one of those developments that probably looked really great in the architect’s drawings (like those optimistic artist’s impressions of your Mediterranean hotel that cunningly miss out the building site and the 8-lane toll road outside your window). You know the type of thing, sparkling clean buildings framing wide walkways in which two or three impossibly beautiful people stroll along in the blazing sunshine. Bargates’ was always good at the ‘two or three people’ bit, but ‘impossibly beautiful’ and ‘blazing sunshine’ was always going to be something of a challenge, particularly on a wet Wednesday in November. Allegedly unloved by the town planners (who, in turn, are hardly dear to the hearts of the Burton citizenry), the development was left to wither far from the hub of Burton commerce and transport links. The arrival of the town centre’s own original concrete wind-tunnel (which was laughingly termed a shopping precinct) pretty much put the tin hat on Bargates’ future, presaging the long, slow decline to today’s boarded-up eyesore.

I suppose I should, at this point, stress that these are purely the views of the author and in no way represent the views of the Burton Civic Society or its membership. Actually, ‘view’ in my case is probably too grand a term – half-baked ideas based on prejudice, bias, gossip and innuendo would be nearer the mark.

Originally, Bargates’ held the promise of modernity, excitement and sophistication. Remember, it was born in the optimism of Harold Wilson’s “white hot heat of the technological revolution” when everything seemed possible, if only we could be persuaded to let go of the old and embrace the new. Many towns and cities took the opportunity to redevelop their bomb sites and slums using modern architectural principles. Burton, having escaped the worst excesses of the Luftwaffe, decided to do the job for themselves. Modernist concrete buildings with their clean lines and logical structures would sweep away the cramped and quirky illogicality of such remnants as Bank Square in the old town centre. Of course the ‘blazing sun’ concept of architectural design seemed to blind the designers and planners to the likely appearance of grey concrete in a predominantly grey climate, particularly after a few decades of grimy rain and the enthusiastic attention of hordes of loose-bowelled pigeons.

Bargates’ had restaurants, supermarkets and a rotunda (for no apparent reason other than architectural ‘joie-de vivre’), but most importantly, it had a ten-pin bowling alley at a time when a night’s entertainment consisted of a visit to the pub or the cinema. Interestingly, in those puritan days, it was difficult to combine a visit to the cinema and then the pub unless you were a world-class athlete with a comprehensive knowledge of the bus timetable (or, if you reversed the order of attendance, someone with an Olympic standard bladder). In case this vision of night-time entertainment perplexes our younger reader (if such a being exists), you have to remember that the typical cinema performance finished at some point after 10 pm (variable and very dependent on whether you watched all of the credits and stood for the National Anthem or said ‘stuff this for a game of soldiers’ and made a mad dash for the exits at the first sign of the swelling chords of the closing theme music), whilst pubs were obliged to close at 10.30pm. Not for us the languid discussion, stretching into the early hours, of the night’s entertainment over a pastis and Gauloise like our continental cousins. Oh no, in my case it usually involved a sprint in the driving rain up Guild St. to the Transport Club, arriving wet-through and weary at 10.25pm. The languid discussion would usually consist (after the downing of the first pint) of:

“Good film, wannit?”
“Yeah, fancy another?”

When you’ve only got five minutes in which to cram an evening’s boozing (plus ten minutes drinking-up time) something has to give and, in this case, it was the cut and thrust of intellectual debate and witty repartee (not to mention the pastis and Gauloise).

You can find more of this sort of rubbish at www.philwhiteland.blogspot.co.uk
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2014, 12:08 AM

Hi Phil. ... just had a look at your blog ... you say "what the ??? Is the Saunter Together (re sequence dancing) ... don't knock it till you've tried it - you'd love it if you danced it with me - don't worry I'll teach you even if you have two left feet .
philwhiteland
Derbyshire, UK

11-03-2014, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
Hi Phil. ... just had a look at your blog ... you say "what the ??? Is the Saunter Together (re sequence dancing) ... don't knock it till you've tried it - you'd love it if you danced it with me - don't worry I'll teach you even if you have two left feet .
Left feet are a speciality of mine, myrtle!
philwhiteland
Derbyshire, UK

11-03-2014, 06:18 PM

I suppose it is blindingly obvious, but can you guess the song from my 'I hurled it down the lane, fine' article?

Page 4 of 20 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top