Join for free
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »
manasota
South Yorkshire
manasota is male  manasota has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 04:35 PM

Britishness - what is it?

Given the number of gobby people on this forum prepared to sound off about anything, much of which they don't need to know the slightest thing about to have an opinion , I'm amazed no one has seen Cameron's latest blathering to be worthy of comment. Well I do, and it has at least promoted some debate.

I cant imagine ANYONE thinking Magna Carta is at the root of being British. As Cameron has previously demonstrated his complete ignorance of what is in it (see the Letterman Show on Youtube to confirm), he is in no position to make this claim. And as it pre-dates the annexation of Wales and Ireland, and the Act of Union with Scotland, it cant possibly be applied - if it was any use anyway - to anywhere but England

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9XsYxoZvqI

Successive monarchies all the way up to James ll managed to ignore it anyway.

Cameron confuses Britishness with his own very narrow, upper class 'Englishness' which for most of the rest of us, might as well be Peruvian. I am absolutely certain that his idea of what constitutes 'equality' is utterly different to mine.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 04:50 PM

Re: Britishness - what is it?

Whats the 'wink' for - what does it mean to you ?
You either 'mean' the first paragraph or you don't .....
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 04:55 PM

I am not sure about ''Britishness''..

I am English..

Welsh..Scots..Irish do not call themselves ''British''

Maybe he is referring to the ''Ghetto's'' that immigrant British find themselves in..whilst carrying on the laws from a third country..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-benefits.html

I resent the fact that these people have never paid anything into our system..

Another thing I am not happy with...is that Bradford has been awarded 7 million pounds to look after handicapped children...Their ''handicapped'' children are the result of cousins marrying cousins..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dren-risk.html
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 05:13 PM

others coming into the country can get British status, I too am English and that's something they can't take away from me
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 05:15 PM

I must admit to being completely puzzled by the idea of Britishness and even more puzzled by the promotion of the values of Britishness. I think you're right in that there is as much difference between classes, cultures, religions, groups etc... as there are between different nations.

I think politicians like the idea of a unified set of values and ideals that they can appeal to, but they just doesn't exist.

Even Far(t)age attempts to appeal to some mass ideal and once he tries to put it into practice he is going to find that "all that is solid melts into air ..... and man is at last compelled to face with sober senses his real conditions of life, and his relations with his kind" just thought I'd throw that in.

Originally Posted by manasota ->
Given the number of gobby people on this forum prepared to sound off about anything, much of which they don't need to know the slightest thing about to have an opinion , I'm amazed no one has seen Cameron's latest blathering to be worthy of comment. Well I do, and it has at least promoted some debate.

I cant imagine ANYONE thinking Magna Carta is at the root of being British. As Cameron has previously demonstrated his complete ignorance of what is in it (see the Letterman Show on Youtube to confirm), he is in no position to make this claim. And as it pre-dates the annexation of Wales and Ireland, and the Act of Union with Scotland, it cant possibly be applied - if it was any use anyway - to anywhere but England

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9XsYxoZvqI

Successive monarchies all the way up to James ll managed to ignore it anyway.

Cameron confuses Britishness with his own very narrow, upper class 'Englishness' which for most of the rest of us, might as well be Peruvian. I am absolutely certain that his idea of what constitutes 'equality' is utterly different to mine.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 05:17 PM

I think he's being cheeky ... winding you all up. I reckon he'll be successful too!

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Whats the 'wink' for - what does it mean to you ?
You either 'mean' the first paragraph or you don't .....
Baxter8
Somerset

17-06-2014, 05:18 PM

"I too am English" what does that mean? -and how would you know if they'd taken it away?

Originally Posted by Honey ->
others coming into the country can get British status, I too am English and that's something they can't take away from me
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 05:21 PM

Cameron is attempting to appeal to and re-inforce 'patriotism'.

Mark Twain once said that "Patriotism is the last redoubt of a scoundrel" - He was right, Cameron is.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 05:25 PM

I agree with most of the above!

The only trait which to me sums up "Britishness", something that has remained constant throughout history, some may disagree but, I would say is being stoic against adversity. The other "British" values seem to change with the times.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Cameron is attempting to appeal to and re-inforce 'patriotism'.

Mark Twain once said that "Patriotism is the last redoubt of a scoundrel" - He was right, Cameron is.
Cameron will have a hard job...

''Britishness'' is the last thing that the immigrants want..

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top