Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 10:16 PM

Re: Badger cull under way

Haven't heard anything more about the poor badger shoots, anyone know what's happened? Did the protestors manage to stop any?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 06:44 AM

They have been causing a bit of mischief chasing off badgers before the guns arrive. I think some have been saved, sadly we will never know true numbers.
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 02:31 AM

In general culling predators is bad policy. They are going to have a rodent bump and they are the vectors. I don't see how a badger can transfer a respiratory disease to a cow or sheep. It's better to loose a sheep~ lamb or two than have a rodent plague. Eating sheep is not increasing their numbers.

`
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 08:20 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EllYgcWmcAY
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 08:29 PM

Give us a clue what that is, I don't want to watch anything nasty or upsetting I think I can imagine what has happened well enough without film of it.
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 10:23 PM

It's a cartoon with "Queen" anthem music.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 10:32 PM

It's a cartoon requesting people to sign a petition to stop the cull of the badgers.

Julie, there is nothing nasty or upsetting in it and would be ok for you to watch
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2013, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Give us a clue what that is, I don't want to watch anything nasty or upsetting I think I can imagine what has happened well enough without film of it.
Sorry Julie, I should have described the link - I was in a rush. Nothing nasty in it to worry about.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2013, 08:53 PM

Under an experiment of trapping the brock, vaccination was proven to be successful, but the government decided to cull because I guess not cost effective.
Or maybe it is because the country is against fox hunting?
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA

09-09-2013, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Under an experiment of trapping the brock, vaccination was proven to be successful, but the government decided to cull because I guess not cost effective.
Or maybe it is because the country is against fox hunting?
'
Don't understand.
The badgers are infecting foxes?
How are they infecting cows or sheep?
What is brock?

Well I read the article. I'm not an animal rights person per se and there is need for wildlife management. Here in the US sometimes political considerations hold sway. In the case of wolf recovery and it's listing or delisting as an endangered species is I believe.
Unfortunately wild animals are impacted by farming, grazing and development. They get the short straw, the animals that is.
I don't understand why cows~ sheep are not inoculated when they are of sufficient age like we were.
They also mention the US and other countries as an example of the problem or dealing with it. I have not heard anything about Badger TB here.
Hell! cattle are vectors and despoilers of stream beds or watersheds in general. Particularly in desert or low rainfall areas. Cattle spread Giardia, a cyst that a lot of backpackers, hikers and campers get from seemingly clean water they drink from streams, lakes at elevations or areas where cattle or sheep graze.
I hope they work it out for the badgers. I think they will have problems with rodents if they cull them below their normal numbers. Cattle are the imbalance, too bad we need them.
I'm pro farmer (not so much corporate farming) and I'm pro wildlife. I hope they work it out.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top