Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 12:00 PM

There Is Lilfe In Space!

Scientists believe they have found the first evidence of life arriving to Earth from space, which could "completely change our view of biology and evolution".

The team, from the University of Sheffield, made the discovery after sending a balloon high into the stratosphere. On its return they found organisms that were too large to have originated from Earth.

Professor Milton Wainwright, who led the team, said the results could be revolutionary. He added: "If life does continue to arrive from space then we have to completely change our view of biology and evolution.

"In the absence of a mechanism by which large particles like these can be transported to the stratosphere, we can only conclude that the biological entities originated from space. Our conclusion then is that life is continually arriving to Earth from space, life is not restricted to this planet and it almost certainly did not originate here."

The balloon was launched near Chester and carried microscope studs which were only exposed to the atmosphere when it reached heights of between 22 and 27km from the planet.

Prof Wainwright, from the university's department of molecular biology and biotechnology, went on: "Most people will assume that these biological particles must have just drifted up to the stratosphere from Earth, but it is generally accepted that a particle of the size found cannot be lifted from Earth to heights of, for example, 27km.

"The only known exception is by a violent volcanic eruption, none of which occurred within three years of the sampling trip."

The professor said stringent precautions had been taken against the possibility of contamination during sampling and processing, and said the group was confident that the biological organisms could only have come from the stratosphere.

The team is hoping to extend and confirm their results by carrying out the test again next month to coincide with the Haley's Comet-associated meteorite shower, when there will be large amounts of cosmic dust. It is hoped that more new, or unusual, organisms will be found.

It is looking more and more likely to be proven that there is life out there (although the methane on Mars indicating life has now been proven to have been overestimated).

People have said for years that the new bugs we get come from outer space - it would seem they could be right!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 12:49 PM

Re: There Is Lilfe In Space!

Well 'this' I do believe in - We are 'not' alone .......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 12:56 PM

There must be life out there somewhere just not in our solar system though so it will take a while to find them. However I have a feeling they found us a while ago and decided to give us a wide berth, I can't say I blame them really.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 02:04 PM

It was on our local news yesterday. These particles were found over Cheshire.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 02:27 PM

I saw that in today's paper. It's all VERY INTERESTING !!!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
There must be life out there somewhere just not in our solar system though so it will take a while to find them. However I have a feeling they found us a while ago and decided to give us a wide berth, I can't say I blame them really.
There is life out there Julie - it came down on that balloon that was sent up - granted only microbial stuff but still a life form
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

21-09-2013, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I saw that in today's paper. It's all VERY INTERESTING !!!
It is isn't it Alan - it confirms what a lot of us have always said: we can't be the only life forms (although I'd have hoped for something a little better than that still, it's a start). It will be interesting to see what happens when they send the balloon up again after the comet next passes over.

Do you think this could be where some of our new virus come from?

(not sure what the plural of virus is - viruses, virusi, )
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 06:07 PM

All those Si-Fi films of the 50's were not that far off then, astronauts going up and bringing back little bugs clinging to their spacesuits, remember 'The Blob'?, that was supposed to come from a comet or something.

Ah!, so that's how they got there.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 06:33 PM

Mystery solved then Jem - thought it all along ya know ....
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2013, 02:18 AM

Damn it! I replied to this post when the blasted forum went down - again!

Will reply again tomorrow. So tired of this happening!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top