Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 07:59 PM

Onion Stalks.

Hi

Growing a lot of onions, not salad, but different varieties of large onions.

The Polish are constantly cutting off the stalks, they regrow very quickly.

I have never bothered with them before, just waste.

They put them in salads and make a soup from them, very tasty.

They also boil them with potatoes.

I detest red beetroot, grown some golden beetroot this year, good stuff.

Great roasted.

I have always thrown away the leaves and stalks of beetroot, the Polish make a soup with them.

You live and learn.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 05:51 AM

Re: Onion Stalks.

It is surprising the amount of good food we bin weekly

Professional chefs always slowly cook chicken bones and meat bones to make a broth that is full of gelatine
And stalks from Mushrooms and Cauliflower, Broccoli added to Soup.
Stale bread can be made into Croutons.

summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 08:08 AM

I met a lady picking wild garlic the other day she told me she makes garlick pesto with it...just wild garlic olive oil and seasoning....I keep meaning to try it...I will one day.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
It is surprising the amount of good food we bin weekly

Professional chefs always slowly cook chicken bones and meat bones to make a broth that is full of gelatine
And stalks from Mushrooms and Cauliflower, Broccoli added to Soup.
Stale bread can be made into Croutons.

I use almost everything! Anything I cannot eat goes into the compost bin. I love to cook and can be quite creative in the kitchen.

Originally Posted by summer ->
I met a lady picking wild garlic the other day she told me she makes garlick pesto with it...just wild garlic olive oil and seasoning....I keep meaning to try it...I will one day.
Do give it a try, Summer, it is delicious.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
My aunt made us a wild garlic rissotto a few years ago. She used the whole thing, leaves, flowers etc. Very tasty it was. Woodlands were covered in this free resource.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2019, 06:09 AM

I love foraging for food!

It will soon be time to harvest Hips, Haws, Rowan Berries, Elder Berries, Sloes, etc.,

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top