Join for free
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 09:09 PM

Plan or evolve?

Do or did you plan your garden or just let it evolve?
I have an idea of how things will look, often finances dictate and I have to go with cheap and free landscaping and features. I like that, making something out of junk etc.
I don't think planning is my strong point.
If I see a plant I like, I get it, especially in the reduced section.
The result is usually higgledy, piggeldy, cottagey.

What do you prefer?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 09:36 PM

Re: Plan or evolve?

Our garden is a bit of both. There were certain things we could not change when we bought the house - e.g. mature oak trees with protection orders on them at the bottom of the garden, together with a protected hawthorn hedge on the boundary. The garden is also on two distinct levels, with a stone wall across and steps down, cutting the garden in half which makes two gardens, both with lawns and borders. There is a large patio near the house and there is a cedar summerhouse at the bottom of the garden, which we use quite a lot. This also has a large patio in front of it, so we can sit. OH calls the summerhouse his mancave and he has put up a plaque saying "grandad's mancave" About 30 years ago we invested in a rhododendron bushes along one border (top half of the garden) and these are quite large now (also maintenance free apart from feeding them). I like to see cottage type plants and we have added in and taken out over the years. It's amazing to see them all growing again year after year after they have disappeared during the winter. I love roses and we have quite a few of them mostly shrub types and climbers, along with varieties of clematis growing through. We have tried a lot of plants over the years and have learnt what will grow in the garden, so we don't have as many failures. Apart from various shrubs, We have a lot of snowdrops, daffodils, wild cowslips, foxgloves, various varieties of perennial geraniums, poppies, aquilegia, etc. the sort of stuff which either self sets its seeds or spreads about. There is an order to it all, but the plants tend to do their own thing, until they get out of hand and have to be taken back a bit. Things always seem to be popping up unexpectedly and I am sure I never put them there. It's all quite casual really.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 09:39 PM

Oh I always have a plan, let "er who must be obeyed" decide
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 09:50 PM

Both. I planned it but then it evolved. It had to evolve. We live in the forest and the trees grow every year so there is less sun.,
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Oh I always have a plan, let "er who must be obeyed" decide
I have at last found out that your plan Realspeed saves me
doing everything three times over!

Regards Donkeyman!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 10:23 PM

During the time I was working a 12 hour day at the hospital and at University every night studying for my BSc - my garden evolved into an unholy wilderness which I have never managed to reclaim. Neighbours have reported seeing Tigers, even Japanese troops lurking in the undergrowth.

I do keep trying but as fast as one bit is sorted - it breaks out somewhere else! The birds are very thoughtful though - there are all sorts of pretty things appearing which I have never planted. Little wood violets, and a patch of wild strawberries.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Do or did you plan your garden or just let it evolve?
I have an idea of how things will look, often finances dictate and I have to go with cheap and free landscaping and features. I like that, making something out of junk etc.
I don't think planning is my strong point.
If I see a plant I like, I get it, especially in the reduced section.
The result is usually higgledy, piggeldy, cottagey.

What do you prefer?
Wish someone would plan my garden any garden designers out there?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 10:58 PM

Hi

Moved house last year.

Garden is evolving, I waited to see what what would come up.

I have my raised beds in and my herbs.

Gradually changing the planting to give year round colour.

It is solid clay, so over 4000 litres of compost in already.

The lawn is a disaster, still under water after the heavy rain, so a lot of drainage to put in this winter.

I have replaced the side fencing , put up a Polytunnel and now adding climbers.

I have new fencing to go up to divide the veg from the patio and barbecue area.

A full years project.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 10:59 PM

Evolved the problem with planning is some plants do better/grow faster than anticipated and some don't do well at all leaving gaps in the plans .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 01:37 PM

Planned it from the start. It was just a lawn with weeds to start with but I knew I wanted a pond and a shed. Did about five or six designs before we agreed on it and over all it has worked out OK apart from a few plants here and there not doing so well and being replaced.

The problem now is that we have the bug and find it difficult to not buy plants and it's getting a bit too crowded, especially as the shrubs are becoming more mature now.

I actually went out and measured every bit and transferred it to paper so that we could see exactly what it would look like.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top