Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 10:04 AM

Re: Indoor hobbies

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Like a lot of boys of my generation I started making model planes when I was 11 or 12, and have kept it up
Airfix are the best known, though there are others; and you can make ships, tanks, cars etc if you wish

The beauty of it is that you only need simple tools, and can stop at any point if you wish, and just leave things part made for months till you feel like doing it again

When I retired I started making knives
Some people grind or forge their own blades, but you have to be keen to do that
I buy in ready made blades then fit my own handles
You can Search YouTube for 'knife making'. Many of the videos show people using power tools, but it's perfectly possible to do it with hand tools, as I do

Following on from the knives I've learned to do leatherwork to make the sheaths
At first it was just a means to an end, but I've become more interested
I like to think that my work has improved, and I'm thinking about making belts & wallets as well as sheaths
As with most things now, Search YouTube to see more about it

I'm thinking of friends & acquaintances who are not as active as they were, or would like
Their indoor hobbies include -

Small scale carpentry - jewellery boxes, ornaments; that sort of thing

Marquetry

Jewellery making, mostly modern/abstract/geometrical styles

Calligraphy; and going to his local calligraphy club gets him out & meeting people

One friend who served in The Royal Marines, then was a heavy plant mechanic - diggers, bulldozers etc - took up knitting when he retired

Starting Thursday 03/10/19 on Channel 5 there is a series about crafting
By the looks of the trailer they do more than Christmas cards, so that might give you some ideas

The point about all these things is that it doesn't really matter what you do, as long as it exercises your mind and you enjoy it
Thanks, Zuludog. Some interesting hobbies there
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 12:23 PM

I nearly forgot - there is wood carving

Obviously things like birds & other animals; stick making; relief carving & chip carving, which are similar, and done on flat boards

I once stayed at a B&B where the owner had made wood carvings from odd pieces of dead or fallen wood
He incorporated the natural curves & bumps in the wood to produce faces, goblins elves, birds, real and imaginary animals and so on
He might make one face from one lump of wood, or have several along the length of an old branch
I think this style is called 'found wood carving' -

I've tried spoon carving, but not much as I have other things to do

You can do woodcarving indoors, you just need a good vacuum cleaner!

As before, just Search t'Net to find out more

I don't want to make walking sticks but I have given a talk on knife making to a couple of stick making clubs
They were an interested and friendly bunch, and they do other sorts of carving as well

Oh, something else I've just remembered
A lady acquaintance does small scale sculpture and stone carving; don't know much else about it though

As I've followed leatherwork I see that you can make your own books - decorative notebooks, leather bound journals - and so on
Search t'Net & YouTube for bookbinding and book making

Note - book making (two words) is not the same thing as bookmaking as in bookies and horse racing
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I nearly forgot - there is wood carving

Obviously things like birds & other animals; stick making; relief carving & chip carving, which are similar, and done on flat boards

I once stayed at a B&B where the owner had made wood carvings from odd pieces of dead or fallen wood
He incorporated the natural curves & bumps in the wood to produce faces, goblins elves, birds, real and imaginary animals and so on
He might make one face from one lump of wood, or have several along the length of an old branch
I think this style is called 'found wood carving' -

I've tried spoon carving, but not much as I have other things to do

You can do woodcarving indoors, you just need a good vacuum cleaner!

As before, just Search t'Net to find out more

I don't want to make walking sticks but I have given a talk on knife making to a couple of stick making clubs
They were an interested and friendly bunch, and they do other sorts of carving as well

Oh, something else I've just remembered
A lady acquaintance does small scale sculpture and stone carving; don't know much else about it though

As I've followed leatherwork I see that you can make your own books - decorative notebooks, leather bound journals - and so on
Search t'Net & YouTube for bookbinding and book making

Note - book making (two words) is not the same thing as bookmaking as in bookies and horse racing
You could also Search t'Net & YouTube for 'Wood Spirit Carving' and 'Driftwood Art'.
You don't have to do those exactly, but it shows the sorts of things that can be done
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by basser ->
Learn to play a musical instrument get tuition off You Tube,

Accoustic Guitar £100 plectrums 50p and your away.
Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I thought about that, basser but my wife wouldn't like all the noise. Being so into music I really should play an instrument. Dunno really
Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Knowing from a post on this thread that you don't like computers for games, I am the same, but how about making your own music using software on the computer?

My youngest granddaughter is into music and I have now learned there is plenty of totally free open source software you could use. That would be quiet enough so as not to disturb anyone else, and is maybe something you could do to avoid the boredom while dealing with your health problem.
Originally Posted by Barry ->
Great idea...

You can pick up a cheap Yamaha organ keyboard and stand on ebay for next to nothing, and plug earphones in so that it doesn't bother anyone else whilst you are learning. Then, once you are up to impresario standard, your better half might allow you to give it some welly without 'em....
Absolutely. I’ve only known you for a year and a half but from what I do know about you is that you love music and when you do have a hobby you jump in with both feet and are disciplined and committed.

There’s nothing more satisfying than being able to create your own music and with modern technology like garage band or band in a box you can easily create and record your own music.

Like others have suggested, you can play an instrument and use headphones so it doesn’t bother anyone. My first keyboard came with a headset and I rejoiced in practising for hours at a time.

With the music software you can add layers of recordings to get a multidimensional sound or just learn chords and play for your own pleasure, singing the melody.

Either way it’s a hobby most worthy of your time and I think you’d love it. My first keyboard was awesome and it’s was only $50.00 and that’s Canadian money. It’s about £25 your currency.

Guitars are another option. They aren’t too loud. I bought my husband an acoustic guitar years ago and enjoy hearing him play it.

It’s none of my business but spouses should support each other’s passions even if it’s not something they personally enjoy. I’m not big on fishing but I wouldn’t dream of expecting my husband not to go. He enjoys watching shows I don’t particularly like but tolerating each other’s differences is part of marriage.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 12:23 AM

I probably should have left my post at it’s none of my business because when I read my post over it sounds someone arrogant and inconsiderate regarding your wife’s feelings.

I know my intentions were sincere when I wrote it but you know your wife better than anyone.

If I wouldn’t have purchased my husbands guitar he would never have gotten one for himself. He would have had every excuse why he couldn’t get an instrument. He’d say I ‘d hate his singing country folk music since it’s not my particular taste or that there are more important things we need to spend our money on. Either way there were always barriers he’d throw up as reasons not to have something he’d really enjoy.

He’d often tell me how much he enjoyed listening to his father play guitar and sing to him as a kid and his eyes would sparkle. Songs that his father sang he’d always sing and then tell me stories about the song. This man deserved his own instrument and once he started playing it was so fun watching him have fun. Yes it’s not my type of music but knowing how much joy he was achieving was so rewarding. He doesn’t always play it but the other day he did.
He is somewhat tone deaf too but I wouldn’t trade hearing him play for anything in the world.

Anyway Floydy I apologize if any of my post rubbed you the wrong way.
Socializing is something I’m NOT good at and if there’s a way of sticking my foot in my mouth, I will find it.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Absolutely. I’ve only known you for a year and a half but from what I do know about you is that you love music and when you do have a hobby you jump in with both feet and are disciplined and committed.

There’s nothing more satisfying than being able to create your own music and with modern technology like garage band or band in a box you can easily create and record your own music.

Like others have suggested, you can play an instrument and use headphones so it doesn’t bother anyone. My first keyboard came with a headset and I rejoiced in practising for hours at a time.

With the music software you can add layers of recordings to get a multidimensional sound or just learn chords and play for your own pleasure, singing the melody.

Either way it’s a hobby most worthy of your time and I think you’d love it. My first keyboard was awesome and it’s was only $50.00 and that’s Canadian money. It’s about £25 your currency.

Guitars are another option. They aren’t too loud. I bought my husband an acoustic guitar years ago and enjoy hearing him play it.

It’s none of my business but spouses should support each other’s passions even if it’s not something they personally enjoy. I’m not big on fishing but I wouldn’t dream of expecting my husband not to go. He enjoys watching shows I don’t particularly like but tolerating each other’s differences is part of marriage.
Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I probably should have left my post at it’s none of my business because when I read my post over it sounds someone arrogant and inconsiderate regarding your wife’s feelings.

I know my intentions were sincere when I wrote it but you know your wife better than anyone.

If I wouldn’t have purchased my husbands guitar he would never have gotten one for himself. He would have had every excuse why he couldn’t get an instrument. He’d say I ‘d hate his singing country folk music since it’s not my particular taste or that there are more important things we need to spend our money on. Either way there were always barriers he’d throw up as reasons not to have something he’d really enjoy.

He’d often tell me how much he enjoyed listening to his father play guitar and sing to him as a kid and his eyes would sparkle. Songs that his father sang he’d always sing and then tell me stories about the song. This man deserved his own instrument and once he started playing it was so fun watching him have fun. Yes it’s not my type of music but knowing how much joy he was achieving was so rewarding. He doesn’t always play it but the other day he did.
He is somewhat tone deaf too but I wouldn’t trade hearing him play for anything in the world.

Anyway Floydy I apologize if any of my post rubbed you the wrong way.
Socializing is something I’m good at and if there’s a way of sticking my foot in my mouth, I will find it.
Hey Bratti,
I've only just seen your post now. I've been elsewhere all evening watching TV so I'm just catching up on the forum anyway

Honestly, your (first) post was fine and very helpful as I was asking for ideas of what to do with my time at home. I'm not really sure I want to get involved in making music or playing it at the moment though, but it's a nice idea, thank you.
Also, you are probably correct when you mention my wife might not like it either. You are spot on with that as she doesn't like me being "noisy" or anything different happening while she's around, which I'm used to now. I vanish into another room to keep the peace - but that's enough of that explanation (I won't talk behind my wife's back as a rule).
No, music is out of the picture unless I'm indoors by myself, and with Mrs. F not being at work too most of the time, I'm somewhat restricted. (There I go again, nobody else's business).

But yes, I'm getting very bored and with my pain, plus trying to get used to my new front tooth pallet, plus some very irritating financial changes I'm feeling quite sorry for myself right now. But I'll leave it there about that.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

07-10-2019, 06:18 PM

I'm still looking for something to do
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 06:43 PM

Could you offer your services and do a bit of voluntary work, short term?
It doesn't have to be anything strenuous.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

07-10-2019, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Could you offer your services and do a bit of voluntary work, short term?
It doesn't have to be anything strenuous.
I can't Mups. I can't even walk to the end of the street without the hernia stabbing at me.
I've never felt so useless.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I can't Mups. I can't even walk to the end of the street without the hernia stabbing at me.
I've never felt so useless.

I wasn't suggesting marathons or hurdling!

One of our local charities wants people to take turns manning the phones for them, and answering enquiries.

Another one wants volunteer drivers to take oldies to medical appointments.

Two more want 'Befrienders' just to keep oldies company for an hour once a week. Jut make them a cuppa and chat with them.

These sort of things are no harder than sitting in your own house, and it helps others out too.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top