Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 11:50 AM

Re: Yet another telephone scam (Amazon)

All of these scam telephone calls should never be allowed to happen.
I don't fully understand all the details, but would imagine that all telephone numbers are assigned by national telephone organisations. Do they not check identities before assigning telephone numbers?
How can an illegally-operating organisation be permitted to automatically charge extortionate amounts of money by persuading recipients of their calls to simply press a specific button?
Another question is why is it possible for these people to hide their identities? Presumably, they must have their own telephone number(s) and there must be some way of the authorities tracing their locations, even if abroad.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 05:49 PM

Action Fraud is warning people about a new scam that charges individuals for an Amazon Prime subscription.

The organisation has received hundreds of reports of a scam where victims receive an automated phone call claiming they’ve been charged for an Amazon Prime subscription. The phone call informs people their personal details have been fraudulently used to subscribe to Amazon Prime, however, they can cancel the transaction by pressing 1 on their phone keypad. When victims do this, they are automatically connected to criminals posing as Amazon customer service representatives, who then remotely access their computer and steal their personal and financial details.

Action Fraud Advice
• Never install software as a result of a cold call
• Always question uninvited approaches in case it’s a scam
• If in doubt contact a company directly using a known email address or phone number
• Feel confident to refuse unusual requests for personal or financial information
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 05:57 PM

Thank you Baz. I'll be subscribing to prime from next month but will be contacting Amazon via their website as usual

I have a new method of dealing with automated phone calls, by the way. As soon as I receive one I talk over their message by shouting at them: SEND ME A TEXT!! and put the phone down
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Thank you Baz. I'll be subscribing to prime from next month but will be contacting Amazon via their website as usual

I have a new method of dealing with automated phone calls, by the way. As soon as I receive one I talk over their message by shouting at them: SEND ME A TEXT!! and put the phone down
I bet you feel better for that!

I often receive live calls about a car accident, which I haven't had, I shout something else.
Can't say what as it's before the watershed!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I bet you feel better for that!

I often receive live calls about a car accident, which I haven't had, I shout something else.
Can't say what as it's before the watershed!
You'll be okay in an hour or so, Baz. The little old ladies will all be tucked up in bed with their doggies, moggies (and chickens)
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 08:46 PM

Computer Active Magazine tells us, in this month's edition, that 30,000 "sextortion" emails are now being sent every hour.

That's the one where they email you and say they have videos of you performing a sex act.

They, apparently charge 800 dollars to take it back off!

It's a lie - but some apparently pay up!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top